Upgrading Carrera to 20 watts or more

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

frinch11
New Here
New Here

Upgrading Carrera to 20 watts or more

Post by frinch11 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Merry Xmas to all!

I love my Carrera but I want the option to make it louder so I can use it live. Is this a realistic proposition - (e.g to add a second switchable power stage) or am I talking rubbish?

I've seen a Carr amp with pot that infinitely varies the power from 1-20 watts, could this be added to a Carrera?

Thanks!

Pete

hunter
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Upgrading Carrera to 20 watts or more

Post by hunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Everything CAN be done. Question is just whether it's worth it. The Carrera is designed for 5-8W, more power could only be had with different power supply, more tubes, different circuit. So in fact you'd build a new amp. Don't expect this to be easy or cheap.

If you need Cornford tone and more power, there are options ready, like the Hellcat, Mk50, Roadhouse series, etc.

frinch11
New Here
New Here

Post by frinch11 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks for the advice - I guess I was just dreaming!

cornfordcrunch
High Gain
High Gain

Post by cornfordcrunch » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Run the Carrera into a load box(Hotplate, Ultimate attenuator, Faustine Phantom) then take the line out on the attenuator and run it into separate higher wattage poweramp and run your cabs off of the power amp.

frinch11
New Here
New Here

Post by frinch11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:09 am

That's an interesting idea - I had never thought of that!

wavley
New Here
New Here

Post by wavley » Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 pm

cornfordcrunch wrote:Run the Carrera into a load box(Hotplate, Ultimate attenuator, Faustine Phantom) then take the line out on the attenuator and run it into separate higher wattage poweramp and run your cabs off of the power amp.
It already has a line out, you could just use that.
hunter wrote:Everything CAN be done. Question is just whether it's worth it. The Carrera is designed for 5-8W, more power could only be had with different power supply, more tubes, different circuit. So in fact you'd build a new amp. Don't expect this to be easy or cheap.

If you need Cornford tone and more power, there are options ready, like the Hellcat, Mk50, Roadhouse series, etc.
That's not true at all, the octal socket is only biased to get 8 watts out of a tube, max dissipation for a 6L6 is 30 watts and EL34 is 25 watts, generally class A amps are biased at 90% dissipation (like the el84 is in this amp) The Carrera's cathode resistor is 470 ohms, which gives you 90% dissipation for an EL84 or 6V6, if you drop it down to 330 or 300 ohms it will give you a much better biased 6L6 or EL34 (or in my case 6CA7) and get you into the just over 20 watts range. I have a post in the tech talk section outlining this.

Although, the difference between 8 and 20 watts isn't as much volume difference as you would hope because when you double power you only get 3dB of SPL volume gain , BUT it does give you a much better biased octal and really brings out the tone.

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 am

Buy a Hurricane, and save yourself all the hassle. :wink: