Question about Roadhouse 30 volume...

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Random Gecko
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Question about Roadhouse 30 volume...

Post by Random Gecko » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:19 pm

Picked up a RH30 combo at the end of last week. Great sounding little amp, just a little thing about the volume. Basically, I was browsing a few vids and came across this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vYuS-SMKNw

The first setting, with the gain on half and the master on 1 seems a lot louder than mine. I know you can hear his strings over the amp but even so, mine is almost nothing at that level on the dials. Like, really really low.

Basically, is this normal?

FWIW, I gigged it last night and it sounded wicked on the gig, just curious if I'm getting some weird lack of output!

Karltone
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Question about Roadhouse 30 volume...

Post by Karltone » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:47 pm

You really can't go off a you tube video for comparison because there are too many variables like what level it was recorded at, your pc speakers etc. so yours may well be normal, but if your in doubt take it to a tech or see if you can compare with another one.

Karl
http://karltone.co.uk NOW OPEN

Dealer in Valves, FX & Guitar Accessories

Gear = Too many bits & bobs I don't use and 2 Cornfords

Random Gecko
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by Random Gecko » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:58 pm

No no, I totally agree. Way too many variables, it was just something I noticed. I was really wondering if other RH30 combo owners could try similar settings and report back with findings!

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 am

I generally use about half volume, maybe a little less early on in the evening, and about 6-7 gain. This on an RH30 head with 2x12, at an average size pub gig, not huge, and not miked-up.

But it depends on som many things, as has already been said

Random Gecko
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by Random Gecko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks guys.

Can somebody try their RH30 at gain 5/vol 1 and tell me how low it is? I mean, I know we can't describe volume, all I can say is that on mine that setting is very, very low and I perceive the one in the vid as louder.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I think we need a view on what you mean by 'low'. Compared to what? For practice purposes that would pretty loud on mine in the house but in a gig environment it would be mouse-like...

Random Gecko
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by Random Gecko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Definitely not loud for house purposes on mine. Not close. Very, very low infact. On a gig it would be absolutely inaudible.

wallympls
Support
Support

Post by wallympls » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Good morning.

If you are feeding low preamp signal there is a low signal the power section needs to amplify.

Turning up the preamp gain with send more signal to the power section to amplify.

So the more preamp volume, the louder.

This is normal.

Try a compressor if you want less gain. This may be better for you as most country guys do this with their lower gain settings. Worth a shot

:)
http://www.cornfordusa.com
The Official U.S. Cornford Tone Lounge and USA Customer Support
http://www.myspace.com/uscornfordtonelounge
USA's FIRST Cornford Dealer
Cornford MK50hII
Cornford RK 4x12

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Forget the bedroom settings, if it's loud enough when you gig, then sit down, have a pint or two, keep calm and carry on.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Gain on 5 should get you near clipping with any moderate output pups ... So master on 1 should be quite loud IMHO (in a home environment). I would agree that it probably doesn't matter so long as you are getting enough volume when you crank but does sound like it might have an issue?? Unless you have a master pot with a different scale ....

Rich.