Question about Roadhouse 30 volume...

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Random Gecko
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Re: Question about Roadhouse 30 volume...

Post by Random Gecko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Yeah, cranked up it's definitely pretty loud and is definitely loud enough. However, gain on 5 and master on 1 isn't far off inaudible. I mean, it's pretty much the same volume as the unamplified guitar.

It's a 6L6 version for what it's worth. Transformers read Jan 2011 if that's of any consequence.

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by richard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm

I've had my RH30 for a few years now. It's done lots of gigs and volume is definitely not a problem. In a big pub unmiked I might get it as far as 1 o'clock on the master and we are a pretty loud band. I've cranked it further at rehearsals and there's still a lot more volume to be had. In the past I've used a Marshall JCM900 and a Jubilee combo both rated at 50 watts and the RH is louder than those amps.

As far as the clip is concerned the guy doing the demo is talking at about the same volume as the amp so it can't be that loud.

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 am

I concur Richard, volume is not an issue for what the RH30 was designed for.n I'm now using the RH30 more because it's light, does what I want, is cheap if it gets nicked or damaged, and I'm keeping an Orange Micro-Terror in the car glovebox as a spare in case of emergencies.

And these days, we're more likely to be told to turn it down!

Faff
New Here
New Here

Post by Faff » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi

I know this is an old thread but I have only just got a RH30C.
In response to Random Gecko, I feel my amp is very quiet on gain5 & vol1. You can easily talk over it.
At home sitting next to it practicing, I have it at G5 & V4 and it sounds great - but that is still not blasting the windows out.
Did you ever resolve your concerns?

Peter

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by lefromagegrand » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:17 pm

As with most valve amps, initially there's a considerable increase in volume when turning them up from zero. Once passed about 8am on the Master Volume, the rate of increase seems to even out until somewhere between 1-2pm, after which the volume doesn't necessarily seem to increase much, although the tone can change. The key word here though is 'seems' - its as much about perception and the way our brains process sound as anything else. I gig with a RH30 and I love it - with the gain at about 1pm, i'll have the MV set anywhere between 10am-1pm depending upon the venue/PA provision etc. However even at very low volumes, it still sounds great - just watch that taper on the MV knob if the missus is at home - it get loud quickly :-)
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc