Pick up my Carrera tomorrow

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

The Dark Lord
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Pick up my Carrera tomorrow

Post by The Dark Lord » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm

It's a while since I had a Cornford. Bought a new Harlequin not long after they were launched. Amazing, amazing, amazing guitar amp.

I sold it in 2001 and always regret doing that.

Bought a used Carrer for a bargain price online last week - and I pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait.

Hope it's as good as the Harlequin.

The Dark Lord
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Re: Pick up my Carrera tomorrow

Post by The Dark Lord » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Actually, there was a snow-related delay, but I just picked up a second-hand Carrera yesterday afternoon - just in time to take it along to band rehearsal last night. I'm the bass player BTW, but write songs and dabble on guitar.

Plugged it in and my very-sceptical guitar playing band-mate :evil: plugged in his Gretsch with his disparaging comments at the ready. He plays a Fender Twin Reverb and a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Chime a few chords, playing a couple of licks, twiddle a few knobs ..... and he turns 'round with a huge exaggerated look of wonderment and says "flippin hell" (or similar words :wink: ). The first 1/2 hour of rehearsal was then ruined, and the drummer got the hump, as we both tried and discussed my new amp.

He then proceeded to use the Carrera for the rest of the 2-hour rehearsal and we both concluded that it is easily usable on a pub gig in our three-piece guitar, bass and drummer band. We don't really use clean sounds that much anyway. Volume wise, it'll be fine.

It's just a marvelous thing. I'm gonna have loads more fun outa this.

I'll provide a fuller "first impressions" when I've had a weekend with it.

A couple of things struck me already though. I was a previous Harlequin owner (why did I ever sell that). I bought one of the first ones new. The Carrera has been billed as the "Super" Harley. That EXACTLY what it is.

Also, this is what we'll be missing if Cornford actually does die. Unmissable guitar tone.

CHrisP86
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by CHrisP86 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Good to hear that you have converted someone to Cornford!

Out of interest, how does your Carrera sound with the gain and EQ all set to 12 o'clock? I got a new one from Andertons a few months ago and I can get a great tone out of it but I have to work really hard with the EQ and turn the treble up, at least to 3 o'clock or the amp sounds really muddy.

It just seems odd as my Roadhouse and MK50 sound amazing with pretty much any EQ settings so I was just wondering if it's the way the Carrera is... I seem to remember reading that it is generally quite a dark sounding amp.

miked
New Here
New Here

Post by miked » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 am

CHrisP86 wrote:Good to hear that you have converted someone to Cornford!

Out of interest, how does your Carrera sound with the gain and EQ all set to 12 o'clock? I got a new one from Andertons a few months ago and I can get a great tone out of it but I have to work really hard with the EQ and turn the treble up, at least to 3 o'clock or the amp sounds really muddy.

It just seems odd as my Roadhouse and MK50 sound amazing with pretty much any EQ settings so I was just wondering if it's the way the Carrera is... I seem to remember reading that it is generally quite a dark sounding amp.
Treble at 2-3 o'clock on mine unless volume maxed out and I have very bright pickups. So yes, a dark sounding amp in general.