Hellcat - what pedal to push cleans into SRV tone

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

jguitarrobinson
New Here
New Here

Hellcat - what pedal to push cleans into SRV tone

Post by jguitarrobinson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Love my Hellcat to bits.

I can get a great pushed tone from the amp, but rolling the volume does not clean it up enough for me.

So I need to set the amp on clean and have been on the hunt for a mid range boost pedal to push the clean channel in front of the amp to get a "SRV" type tone.

I have You tubed to find a few guys using a jersey Girl Hustle maker with great effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFabTB8ephU

So any of you guys have a Jersey Hustle maker you want to sell, or suggest a UK based alternative, that will match with the Hellcat?

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Hellcat - what pedal to push cleans into SRV tone

Post by richard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 pm

SRV used Tube Screamers - why don't you try one ? Might as well start with the pedal he used himself ?

bigbazz
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by bigbazz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Generally the Vintage channel has a slightly warmer and thicker sound when driven than the Modern channel, if you hit it with an overdrive pedal (that pushes the front of the amp rather than creating its own drive) the volume is going to have a massive increase, so if you're wanting to use the boost in the front of the amp and then turn it off for your clean sound you're gonna drop a massive ammount of volume from your driven sound to the clean sound, unless the pedal itself is creating the sound (without overly increasing the volume).

Try turning up the gain on the Vintage channel to get your driven sound and then rolling back the volume from there, see what it gets you. I'm using a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive in the front of mine, but then I'm not getting those very bright glassy twangy tones shown in the video but rather a slightly warmer and thicker sound.

I would try using the Vintage channel for your sound first, rolling the volume back for clean on that channel (unless thats what you've already been doing).
Cornford Hellcat Combo
Peavey 5150 MK1 Head with bias mod.
1994 Ibanez Jem7V, 3 Strats and a 70's P-bass!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:53 pm

The Xotic EP Booster is worth checking out too IMHO....if they were around I rekon SRV would have approved...
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by 59Bassman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 am

I don't have a Hellcat - only the RHC30 - but for me, to get a 'dirty' (will never get clean) Fenderish sound (SRV was a Super Reverb and Vibroverb user amongst others) then you have to lighten the tonal characteristic as Cornfords are far more gainy!

I do this with a PROEL DS10 pedal, but a good transparent drive pedal will probably do.
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

jguitarrobinson
New Here
New Here

Post by jguitarrobinson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Guys, thanks so much for all your tips.

I have tried rolling the volume back, but it does not clean up enough for me.

So I think pedal is the only way to go.

Purely driving the tube amp will give me too much disparity in volume between, clean and dirt.

Had some nice results with a Rothwell Hellbender last night, set on a low gain, not quite SRV but quite a unique tone in itself.

will keep my eyes peeled for the Xotic EP booster, and alike

once again thxs for all the advice:)