Roadhouse 30 or ...

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Roadhouse 30 or ...

Post by richard » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Please have a look at my updated post. I hope it's of some use.

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by lefromagegrand » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 pm

Well, I had a couple of hours with my new Roadhouse 30 combo this afternoon. No-one else in the house but this is a loud amp so unfortunately I didn't get the MV above 8am-ish. Hooked up my pedal-board, plugged in a variety of guitars and just played - these are my thoughts (fyi - throughout I had a T-REX Comp-Nova compressor pedal switched on):

The amp is great and generally the tone is THICK in a good way.

With a Fender American Standard Strat and the Gain set low at about 10-11am the amp provides a deep clean tone that really is somewhere in the middle of the Fender/Marshall/Vox triangle. Pushing the Treble and Mids up towards 5pm whilst leaving the Bass low at around 9am gets close to some Vox sparkle. Dialling the Treble and Bass to around 2pm and the Mids at around 10am gives more of a Fender blackface type clean tone, while having all three set around 2pm gives a fuller more Marshall-esque clean tone. Pushing the amp gain up to around 1pm gave some lovely on-the-edge clean/slightly driven tones - great for chords, oh and rolling back the guitar's volume cleaned it up and took the fur away. With the gain set at around 4pm, your into light overdrive. Swapping guitars for a Gibson LP with P90s, the gain piled on slightly sooner and by 4pm the amp was overdriving nicely - think classic early 70's Marshall.

Engaging the amps Boost takes everything up a notch but with a transparency that i haven't found anywhere else except with a handwired Vox AC15 that costs around a grand. With Gain at 9am and Boost an 9am the clean tone is thick. Gain and Boost at 5pm is approaching a fully saturated tone with the Strat and is pretty much spot on for G'n'R/Van Halen etc. with the LP.

Adding a TC Electronics Spark Booster to the front of the amp can add a third dimension (initially with the pedal set as follows Gain at 1pm, Level at 2pm, Treble and Bass at midday). This pedal has a three-way toggle for Fat/Clean/Mid boost. It is also very transparent - indeed with the amp gain at 5pm (but the boost not engaged) adding the Spark Booster on its Clean setting was very similar to adding the amps own boost. Perhaps the one difference was the pedal added a little more top end treble/presence. Adding the pedal when both the amps gain and boost were set to 5pm gave a thicker, more saturated tone - as though the amp controls now went to 12 or 13 rather than 11. What this means is that you can set the amp cleaner, with say amp gain and boost at 12-1pm and then kick in the Spark Booster to give you a 'third channel' i.e. Clean-ish, Crunch and Saturated Lead with the pedal engaged.

The Strat in particular seemed to like having the pedal three-way toggle set to Fat, whilst boosting the treble on the pedal added a touch more high-end crispness etc.

I also gave the front end a whirl with a Carl Martin Plexitone (3-button version) and a Mooer Hustle Drive. The Plexitone was ok but nothing more - the drive from the amp is definitely 'better'. Having said that i got the Plexitone for when i play with a 'house' amp which sadly is typically a Fender HRD or some such. The Hustle Drive was ok and sounded quite good when the amp was set clean, but it wasn't great at boosting the amp when the amp-gain was set to say 3-4pm etc.

The FX Loop on the Roadhouse was introduced to my Flashback Delay (which sounded excellent through it) and a Line 6 M5 which I'm currently using for reverb - this sounded good, certainly good enough for giving my playing a little air and ambience at house levels, especially at lower gain settings on the amp etc. I didn't really give any of the modulation effects within the M5 a good go on this occasion.

Suffice to say i'm very happy with my 'investment'. Hoping to use it at a gig in the near future, so looking forward to hearing it with the MV up a bit more. Bottom line, this really does seem like its going to be great for blues and classic rock (with a Strat) and i'm sure with a fully 'buckered-up LP would be great for hard-rock too.

In many ways this amp isn't that different from the Marshall Vintage Modern i had before - it just seems to do everything much better and you can actually use the boost. The Vintage Modern is virtually unusable in a live context because although it comes with a footswitch to change between LDR and HDR modes, the volume jump is so great (around 30db with no variable control) that you go from rhythm tone to obliterating everyone within half and mile in an instant. This massive design flaw/marketing fallacy is then further compounded by an EQ section that does literally nothing and a mid-boost (switchable only on the amp panel) which effectively adds a few layers of mud to your tone unless everything is on max in HDR mode - only then does it add thickness without reducing clarity.

Anyway i hope all this is helpful.

Cheers
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by richard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:11 am

I'm glad you like the amp. I took a chance when I got mine because I hadn't tried or even heard one. One of my best musical purchases. They sound even better when you can get the master up to half or more - prepare to re-think your gain and eq settings.

leos
High Gain
High Gain

Post by leos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 am

Congratulations on your Roadhouse :) I too bought mine on chance, and got a dud - those things happen - great service from Andertons and Wally got me a replacement amp with no hassles and she's a keeper. I set the gain at 1.30 (not 1, not 2 lol) and hit it with my burstbucker LP at full throttle for my favorite crunch sound. For clean, I just dial back the guitar volume.

The cons I see with this amp are mostly the combination of the deep cabinet and the weight. And the lack of a spring reverb.
I am considering buying a VOX AC15c1 and use this for rehearsels, but the RH will definately stay.
Cornford RK100 (SE)
Cornford Mk50 II Black #450 (Martin Kidd)
Cornford MK412 Black
Cornford RH30 Combo (6L6 SE)

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by lefromagegrand » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:37 pm

I had another opportunity to play through it at decent volume the other day - this is an awesome amp! The only pedal I used was the TC Spark Booster, with the amp set as

T at 2pm
M at 3pm
B at 2pm
Gain and Boost both at 4pm

The tone is thick and fat - very Joe Bonamassa, particularly with the LP. P90s are great with this amp.

I bought this somewhat blind as the only RH I'd played through previously was clearly faulty in some way. Given that it appears Cornford are no more, I can see these becoming very collectible in the future :thumbup:
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc

leos
High Gain
High Gain

Post by leos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Yea you never know - hopefully enough care were put into these, that they will be pretty hard to destroy , and simple enough that any dude with basic electronic knowledge can fix the little things that comes up
Cornford RK100 (SE)
Cornford Mk50 II Black #450 (Martin Kidd)
Cornford MK412 Black
Cornford RH30 Combo (6L6 SE)

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Congratulations on the new RH30. You could have made a very wise investment there. Enjoy your new toy!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895