END of the CORNFORD Line - BREAKING NEWS!

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

wallympls
Support
Support

Re: END of the CORNFORD Line - BREAKING NEWS!

Post by wallympls » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Tellboy wrote:
bigbazz wrote:Forgive me for thinking that maybe Paul Cornford has lost the plot. Seeing the brand continue is something I'd like to see because I love the amps, but these replies from Paul aren't making the situation any better, has he been living in a cave for the last few years?
Looking at his replies/comments makes me think that perhaps Paul's health problems were more than physical. Either that or he is playing a cat and mouse legal game with SE.

No comments from Wally for a while - has he jumped ship as well?
I haven't jumped ship. Surviving

Paul's health is good as far as I know.
http://www.cornfordusa.com
The Official U.S. Cornford Tone Lounge and USA Customer Support
http://www.myspace.com/uscornfordtonelounge
USA's FIRST Cornford Dealer
Cornford MK50hII
Cornford RK 4x12

Paul C
Support
Support
Location: Not behind Behind Tesco's in Whitstable any more, but still in Whitstable.

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm

johnonguitar7 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm Paul's conscious and I would just like to set a few things straight... but first I have to do my morning crossword as I am travelling to the moon on a frog later on.

Glad I could clear that up for everyone.
?
Gold Fish don't Bounce and Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy!

I have a dream: a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Paul C
Support
Support
Location: Not behind Behind Tesco's in Whitstable any more, but still in Whitstable.

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:02 pm

:biggrin:
ian29gte wrote:"SE registered the Cornford trademark to protect it on Paul’s behalf, as no-one else had done so."

I hope I can be forgiven for being sceptical.
:biggrin:

I have a dream: a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Paul C
Support
Support

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Gadget wrote:
ian29gte wrote:"SE registered the Cornford trademark to protect it on Paul’s behalf, as no-one else had done so."

I hope I can be forgiven for being sceptical.
As I understand it, without trademark protection, any other company could have started making 'Cornford' amps. I daresay neither the company nor SE could afford for that to happen. According to SE, they then made the registration with Paul's agreement.
This is an absolute bare faced lie, this was not done with my agreement in any shape or form..... !!!!!! it was put in place 9 to 12 months before I found out out this,

Paul C
Support
Support

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Tellboy wrote:Whichever 'version' of events is true (PC's or SE's), and whatever the "other background factors and issues which would not benefit with a public airing" are, I think both Gadget and Wally have done a great job keeping things ticking over.

Whatever the outcome, still love my Hellcat and Hurricane :cool:
Well done Tell Boy,

my version is the truth, SE's statement has a few fibs in there ?

Paul C
Support
Support

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 pm

wallympls wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Gixxernutter wrote:This is the response :

?!!!??
You mean the response posted on Facebook is simply "?!!!??"

That's it?...

That was Paul's response to Anderton's 'blog'
Oh I said a lot more than that :wink:

Paul C
Support
Support

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Paul C wrote:
johnonguitar7 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm Paul's conscious and I would just like to set a few things straight... but first I have to do my morning crossword as I am travelling to the moon on a frog later on.

Glad I could clear that up for everyone.
?
Really ?

Paul C
Support
Support

Post by Paul C » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Gadget wrote:As moderator, I have been contacted by SE in order to hopefully clear up and answer some of the questions posed and pass on the following:

"Thanks for your help and input on this Gadget. We are a simple manufacturer who only wants to build good quality products and get paid for it. We do not wish to be drawn into discussion on our business, clients, brands, or staff and will monitor forums that may have reference to us with a view to issue legal proceedings for any libel or slanderous postings.

Hopefully things will improve for Paul and he will get things going again.

Straight Edge Manufacturing Ltd ( SE ) have had no direct contact with Paul Cornford for a considerably long time. Despite making every effort to, by phone, email & post including several trips to Whitstable.

SE registered the Cornford trademark to protect it on Paul’s behalf, as no-one else had done so. Paul was in full knowledge of this, it was discussed at the NAMM show.

SE does not own Cornford, nor is trying to acquire it. They are an OEM manufacturer and build electronic products, cabinetry, sheet metal and other non-MI products for a variety of clients & other brands both in the UK and USA, and continue to do so.

SE's relationship with Cornford began with the cabinetry in 2003/4 and introduction of the Roadhouse line circa 2007/8. The hand wired series were at that time being built at Cornford's own facility in Whitstable. There was no fire at Cornford's Whitstable base. The Cornford premises had to be vacated, at which point some of the manufacture of Cornford amps transferred to SE. A backlog then built-up whilst provisions were made to service the extra workload.

There was a massive fire, at SE factory in 2009. The cause being a spark in the wood shop extractor, which then exploded covering the assembly area in burning embers, the fire brigade did not have the required water at hand to extinguish the blaze before the facility was raised to the ground. Over 20,000 sq. feet of factory and 20 years of hard work went up in smoke !.

The insurance details published in the forum are incorrect, needless to say the true cost to rebuild the business is believed to be in the region of £1.6 million. Considerably more than what was received from insurers.

This fire further hindered Cornford production and replacement parts took time to source. SE procured these parts in volume against orders placed by Cornford and continued to build amps supplying dealers In order to recoup their outlay.

SE have ceased production of Cornford amps, as these parts are now exhausted. These (and any other SE built products) are fully covered by the standard warranty from the retailer.

They are built by SE to the same high specification and quality, including test procedures detailed by their respective clients requirements.

Anderton's are simply a retailer and do their bit to promo products they stock. Lee Anderton's statement reflects the fact that supply of Cornford products from SE has ceased and they are clearing their shelves of the line.

It is believed that no other source of manufacture is currently available, however, hopefully this will not always be the case. Any restart in production of Cornford amps elsewhere in the world will have nothing to do with SE.

There are of course other background factors and issues which would not benefit anyone with a public airing, but this hopefully answers many of the outstanding questions for the benefit of forum members.

Best regards SE."
Thats funny :biggrin: and bordering on the hilarious x

Anthony
High Gain
High Gain

Post by Anthony » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Paul C wrote:
Gadget wrote:As moderator, I have been contacted by SE in order to hopefully clear up and answer some of the questions posed and pass on the following:

"Thanks for your help and input on this Gadget. We are a simple manufacturer who only wants to build good quality products and get paid for it. We do not wish to be drawn into discussion on our business, clients, brands, or staff and will monitor forums that may have reference to us with a view to issue legal proceedings for any libel or slanderous postings.

Hopefully things will improve for Paul and he will get things going again.

Straight Edge Manufacturing Ltd ( SE ) have had no direct contact with Paul Cornford for a considerably long time. Despite making every effort to, by phone, email & post including several trips to Whitstable.

SE registered the Cornford trademark to protect it on Paul’s behalf, as no-one else had done so. Paul was in full knowledge of this, it was discussed at the NAMM show.

SE does not own Cornford, nor is trying to acquire it. They are an OEM manufacturer and build electronic products, cabinetry, sheet metal and other non-MI products for a variety of clients & other brands both in the UK and USA, and continue to do so.

SE's relationship with Cornford began with the cabinetry in 2003/4 and introduction of the Roadhouse line circa 2007/8. The hand wired series were at that time being built at Cornford's own facility in Whitstable. There was no fire at Cornford's Whitstable base. The Cornford premises had to be vacated, at which point some of the manufacture of Cornford amps transferred to SE. A backlog then built-up whilst provisions were made to service the extra workload.

There was a massive fire, at SE factory in 2009. The cause being a spark in the wood shop extractor, which then exploded covering the assembly area in burning embers, the fire brigade did not have the required water at hand to extinguish the blaze before the facility was raised to the ground. Over 20,000 sq. feet of factory and 20 years of hard work went up in smoke !.

The insurance details published in the forum are incorrect, needless to say the true cost to rebuild the business is believed to be in the region of £1.6 million. Considerably more than what was received from insurers.

This fire further hindered Cornford production and replacement parts took time to source. SE procured these parts in volume against orders placed by Cornford and continued to build amps supplying dealers In order to recoup their outlay.

SE have ceased production of Cornford amps, as these parts are now exhausted. These (and any other SE built products) are fully covered by the standard warranty from the retailer.

They are built by SE to the same high specification and quality, including test procedures detailed by their respective clients requirements.

Anderton's are simply a retailer and do their bit to promo products they stock. Lee Anderton's statement reflects the fact that supply of Cornford products from SE has ceased and they are clearing their shelves of the line.

It is believed that no other source of manufacture is currently available, however, hopefully this will not always be the case. Any restart in production of Cornford amps elsewhere in the world will have nothing to do with SE.

There are of course other background factors and issues which would not benefit anyone with a public airing, but this hopefully answers many of the outstanding questions for the benefit of forum members.

Best regards SE."
Thats funny :biggrin: and bordering on the hilarious x
Hi Paul,

I guess things are likely to get a whole lot messier than is being aired on the forum but it would be helpful from an amp owners perspective on whether we have been duped into buying what may amount to unofficial products (I have an amp and a cab).

lienffur
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by lienffur » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 am

Paul - it's hard to see where to take this conversation. As it appears to me, the majority of people involved in this thread are owners of amps bearing a 'Cornford' badge, and they're all interested in what happened in the past (whether it's really our business or not), but also what might happen going forward.

It's clear that some of us have amps that you & Martin made (and signed) in Whitstable, and others of us have amps that were made 'post fire' - and we're not all 100% clear about how long you/Martin were still active in amp production after May 2009, or whether these amps (the recently purchased ones) are in actual fact from Straight Edge, without your involvement.

On top of that, there are clearly points of difference between your statements, and the one made by SE.
As none of us knows anyone involved personally (to the best of my knowledge), we have little choice but to take a side, generally based on the continuing need to speculate in order to fill in the gaps. Some will side with you, some with SE, and others remain on the fence. It's always going to remain that way, as long as conflicting accounts exist. Bear in mind that most of what you've posted on the matter so far amounts to brief responses or reactions to other posts, rather than your full account of what occurred.

Most forum members will probably back off at this point, since SE's statement refers to monitoring the forum with a view to issuing legal proceedings for libel/slander...and that alone tends to give more credence to what SE have said in the absence of any other comprehensive information from yourself.

A couple of things I'm still curious about:-

1. You stated earlier that you lost all of your accumulated amp making kit in the SE fire. That statement alone would seem to indicate that you did have a working relationship with SE, prior to the fire happening. Was this just Cornford employees making amps in an SE facility, or were SE people already involved in production? You stated that you'd not authorised any other company to make Cornford amps on your behalf, yet it does appear that manufacturing was being carried out in an SE facility when the fire happened...could you clarify?

2. The second grey area is around the video of Martin demoing the 'Phoenix' prototype amp, with Lee Anderton, in June 2010 (this is still available on YouTube). While you're not on camera, it's mentioned that you're also there at Andertons on that day...
I'm curious that this happened a full year after the SE fire - it indicates that you & Martin were still working on new stuff (although clearly this ultimately didn't launch). However, I'd like to know who was making the hand-wired amps and Roadhouse series at that stage? I.e. you're still actively involved (as is Martin) in prototyping & pre-marketing a new model, but the existing range at the time was still being made somewhere, a full year after the fire... Did you have your own facility again, and if not, were SE making your amps (as per their claim)? Can you clarify?

3. Lastly, it's a matter of public record that the business 'Cornford Amplification Ltd', its trademark, and the appointment of Ian Wilson (of SE) as director ALL occurred on 5th Nov 2008 (verified by Companies House online etc etc). Yet SE state that they don't own Cornford, and that it was done to protect the brand on your behalf, and that you had discussed it at NAMM.
You've said again that you found out several months later. I'm not sure why, if they did discuss it with you, that it wasn't done in your name? Undisclosed personal reason perhaps?

Either way, since (as above) you were prototyping the 'Phoenix' in June 2010, some 20 months after the registration etc occurred, it again suggests that you and Martin were still proactively pursuing new developments for the brand at a time when SE (as per their statement, and pending your answer to Q2) were making the existing amps, effectively with Ian Wilson 'owning' the Cornford brand name & trademark, and director of the company. Again I'm asking for clarification because, as of recent posts, there seems to be such a discrepancy between your & SE's account of the situation.

I apologise for being so direct. Some would say it's none of our business, but then again you have offered to share your account of what's happened...

If, for whatever (legal/personal?) reason, the past is 'off topic', maybe I can also ask about the future?

Both you & Wally have made statements that the Cornford range is NOT discontinued? However, all we as customers know is that Andertons have been the only retailer selling Cornford-branded amps for quite some time (even Wally couldn't get any), and that they were getting them from SE, who are no longer manufacturing.

We also know that Martin Kidd (who we know is at least reading this forum, if not posting) is currently developing a new amp range called 'Victory'. Guthrie Govan has been using the prototypes, as has Rob 'Chappers' Chapman....and we know Andertons are involved in the process (they work heavily with Chappers, and they delivered Martin's prototypes to Guthrie etc etc). We can speculate on who might manufacture these amps...

With this in mind, and also given that 'Cornford Amplification Ltd' as a company and trademark is currently still registered to Ian Wilson, what can be said about the future of the brand?
If, as has been stated, it has not been discontinued, when might we expect to see new stock? Who will be manufacturing? Do you have an ongoing working relationship with Martin Kidd?

I'm sorry to even have to ask, Paul - but the reality is that there has not been any positive news from any camp in quite some time now. You still have loyal support here, and while we'd like to know the full story about the past, we'd LOVE to hear something positive about the future...

Neil