We are through the looking glass people...

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

johnonguitar7
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

We are through the looking glass people...

Post by johnonguitar7 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:08 am

So I just took delivery of my Cornford MK50 II the day before yesterday. Which I'm pretty pleased with. I have an early cream face MK50 and I would say that the II is slightly brighter but this may be a valve descrepincy (the mark 1 has vintage RCA's in it and the caps could probably do with a few more hours play). The clean channel was pleasantly surprising: sounds pretty much like a twin! Only gripe I have is that the foot switch cable is really crap. It doesn't look like it will last long and it's stiffer than a priest at confessions.

Anyhoo, my question is this:

Is this a Cornford MK50 II or is it an S.E. Mk50 II?

Is there any danger that I could be left with an amp that isn't "technically" a cornford but merely a clone in a year or twos time? I'm just wondering because I'm pretty sure that my finance company might be pissed about it too and if anyone knows of a genuine reason that I should be concerned that I may have an amp that could be extremely difficult to move on further down the road could they chime in? Thanks

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: We are through the looking glass people...

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Thu May 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

bigbazz
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by bigbazz » Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm

It's a Cornford MK50II built by SE, like every other Cornford for the last 5 or so years?.
Cornford Hellcat Combo
Peavey 5150 MK1 Head with bias mod.
1994 Ibanez Jem7V, 3 Strats and a 70's P-bass!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Thu May 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh Noooo...the spectre returns...

I suspect all/the majority of Cornford MK11's were made by the same people in the same factory, using the same components and schematics. In all honesty surely it's the same thing and not worth worrying about...it's a real Cornford in every physical regard.
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

johnonguitar7
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by johnonguitar7 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Yeah I totally get that and for personal use I'm not worried. I'm just a little worried that I have some form of authentic knock-off that may be worth less on the market than an identical one pre-whenever the craziness begun

lienffur
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by lienffur » Thu May 02, 2013 6:58 pm

In the long run, it's probably only Paul or Martin that'll really be able to tell the difference...I can't see anyone issuing a serial number listing for 'before' & 'after'.

However you choose to look at it, there are early 'Cornford' amps that were made in Paul Cornford's Whitstable factory, some of which are signed by Paul and/or Martin.
There are also 'Cornford' amps that were more recently made at StraightEdge, to the same spec and with the same strict QC checks - identical in all key regards.

Difficult to say what 'the market' will decide, and only really an issue if you come to sell it - then it becomes an argument over something's 'worth' vs its 'value'.
I imagine some informed folks, if looking to buy, might want that little felt-tip scribble in preference to one without it.

Incidentally, a few years ago Christies auctioned Eric Clapton's old Lab Series L5 (an amp made by Gibson/Moog in the 70s, popularised by BB King and Ty Tabor of King's X).
Eric's amp went for $14,000. Same year, I bought one off a bloke on eBay, for £120...

Both amps are doubtless near identical & have the same material worth, but the provenance makes a big difference to the value, but can only really be determined by the buyer.

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Thu May 02, 2013 7:10 pm

My early Blackface MK50 H (#0019) isn't signed inside...so clearly they weren't all signed either...!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 pm

bigbazz
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by bigbazz » Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Well if you wanna sell I'l give you £400 for it, it's the best I can offer for a cheap knock off.
Cornford Hellcat Combo
Peavey 5150 MK1 Head with bias mod.
1994 Ibanez Jem7V, 3 Strats and a 70's P-bass!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Fri May 03, 2013 4:09 am

Chris Poland's Cornford MK50 on ebay... Wait! Is this a 'real' Cornford? :crazy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140965843940?ss ... 1423.l2649