First gig with Roadhouse 30 tonight

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

First gig with Roadhouse 30 tonight

Post by lefromagegrand » Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 am

Hey Folks,

I shall be putting my relatively new Roadhouse 30 through its paces properly this evening for the first time at a charity fundraising do. 30 covers ranging from Elvis to Journey to Queen to Oasis. I'm still undecided on how to set the amp up - do i go with:

1. Gain set to 1pm, Boost set to 11am, and use a clean bost pedal for solos?

OR

2. Gain set at 4pm, Boost set at 5pm and just stick to using the guitar volume to clean up the un-boosted tone for a gritty clean?

The band includes an acoustic guitarist so i don't use a pristine clean tone at all. I shall be mostly using a Hamer Superstrat with BKP VHii's (which can be coil-split), with my trusty Strat as back-up.

Your thoughts, comments, advise, experience, rants etc. are all warmly welcomed :smile:
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc

Mike
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Re: First gig with Roadhouse 30 tonight

Post by Mike » Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 pm

ive got the 50 watt combo version and when i play live, I put the gain and boost all the way up then back of my guitar volume for clean parts.

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by richard » Fri May 24, 2013 3:37 pm

I've done many many gigs with my RH30 combo - had it for 5 years now. I use a Firebird Studio with BK Rebel Yells (with coils splits) so I've got a little more output from the guitar than you. I usually have the gain at around 1 o'clock which gives me a hairy twang in single coil mode and a great plexi type crunch with the full buckers. The boost I have around 11 to 1 o'clock which gives me all the extra gain I need for solos. If you get to wind the amp up a bit you may not need as much gain or boost as you think.

I have experimented a bit recently by backing both gain and the boost off a bit and using a Boss OD3 for solos but I'm back to just using the amp. The boosts sounds so good I don't like using anything else with it. I have the mids a little after noon and the treble a little before. Bass around 2 o'clock.

Master volume - obviously you have to play to the venue but if you can get it to a little above half way this is where I find the magic starts.

I LOVE my RH and have got more pleasure out of this amp than anything else I've had in 38 years of gigging (I'm an old git).

Have a great gig.

Richie.

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by lefromagegrand » Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for your comments gents. Had a good night, ended up using the gain on 2pm, boost on about 11am and occasionally kicking in a clean boost on top of that.

We had the benefit of a full PA and sound engineer, so the amp was mic'd. Unfortunately this meant the master volume didn't really get above 10am so I don't think the powertubes were really getting going. Sounded good though and had a few compliments about the tone too.
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by richard » Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Lesson one for all 'sound engineers' should be - if the guitarist is using a valve amp it needs to be turned up so deal with it. I've worked with some great engineers who've let me turn up as much as I want. I don't overdo it and rarely go much over half way. I've also had my share of the ones that throw tantrums if you go above 1 on the master volume. Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a mixing desk.

Fixxxer
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by Fixxxer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am

I'm a simpleton when it comes to setting my amp but thought I would share what I do.

Humbuckers (BK Black Dogs) gain a 3 o'clock - no boost. all textures and tone I need are in the guitar controls
Single Coils (Tele with medium output pups) Gain at 3 o'clock and boost at 8:30ish for a little more hair.

I play with a very heavy hand and fat strings so I can get away with not having too much gain on the boost, oh and I try to crank to at least 2/3 on the master.

Hope you had a good gig by the way :)
Cornford RH30
PRS CU22 with BKP Black Dogs
Homemade 60s style Wah

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by richard » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Gigged with my RH last night - what a sound, lots of compliments. Don't know what I'd do if anything happened to it. Paul C has talked about production going to Bad Cat in the States but I guess this would be only for the PTP amps. Is there a future for the PCB based RH type amps ?