New to forum. Just bought MK50II early impressions

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

rezonance
New Here
New Here

New to forum. Just bought MK50II early impressions

Post by rezonance » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Hello everyone,
Just saying hello to the forum after buying an MK50ii from Andertons. I'm very happy with the amp, I'd been playing a Diezel Herbert before, a great amp, but I prefer the voicing of the Cornford and it's clarity. Whilst I'm happy, there are a couple of early issues. First, the amp came from Andertons and when I opened up the box with excitement, I was gutted to learn that it had come with no footswitch or cables. Andertons are looking into this for me, but it's extremely frustrating- I'm a gigging player and I need to change channels live, which means I can't use the amp yet. Secondly, there's a loud popping sound when changing from OD to clean channel. I'm using a TC electronic g system in the loop. I've seen a similar post about someone having the same issue with the same rig, and this seems to be a common issue with a 'simple mod' that can be done to rectify this problem. However opening a brand new amp for surgery seems very concerning. I would have thought that if Cornford knew about this, they might have rectified this 'fault' on their new builds before shipping? Would I have to send the amp back to have this work done? For me, it's not the best of starts I've had with Cornford; hopefully it'll get better. Any advice/suggestions/feedback welcome... :think:

lienffur
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: New to forum. Just bought MK50II early impressions

Post by lienffur » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:24 pm

I'd be busting Andertons to sort the footswitch asap (merely 'looking into it' isn't doing enough, given what you've paid).

Bear in mind they are the ONLY retailer/distributor on the planet who have any access to Cornford stock, and have a direct relationship with the manufacturer.

I'm not sure about the issue with the G System - this might be a common thing with this rig, but like you, I'd be wary of making mods to a new amp, which should be expected to work without issue with digital devices in loop. Someone else with direct experience would need to chime in here...

I would say that if the popping exists when switching channels WITHOUT the G System plugged in (i.e. just using the amp as standard), then that's an issue that (for me anyway) would have the amp back to Andertons for a replacement or money back...

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Don't except this fella....by law it has to be fully functional....I'd get them to arrange a courier to pick it up and demand a replacement complete with the f/s or get a refund and buy a used one. Naughty Andertons!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

rezonance
New Here
New Here

Post by rezonance » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey guys thanks for the feedback.

Andertons have been in touch and are saying that they are having one built at Cornford. Still non commital on the timeframe but they are saying they expect this to be around a week. Not convinved as yet but got to give them a chance I guess.

In terms of the advice about the popping; thank you! I tried the amp without anything in the loop and there was no popping. Also no popping when a patch lead was in there. I don't have any pedals so I wasn't able to connect anything else into the loop to try things that way, but it seems that this is a good sign. However, I'm still not sure why a high end digital unit such as the g system should cause a popping sound? But it seems this is not uncommon. I'm not sure whether others have troible free problems with analog pedals? perhaps they could comment? To that end, do people think that the amp will still need to go back to Cornford if it's popping in the loop with the g-system as it is?

Mendel
New Here
New Here

Post by Mendel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I can recommend using a RJM (mini) amp gizmo to control all foot switching for the amp from the G sys. That's how I have it set up.

I agree with the other posts. You should get the switch. I'm hanging onto mine.

Also, mine doesn't suffer the popping noise issue, so best get that rectified also.