Possible to achieve similar tone with a MK50 mkii?

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Aidanspaghetti
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Possible to achieve similar tone with a MK50 mkii?

Post by Aidanspaghetti » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:45 am

Hi all -
I was on the hunt for an RK for a long time but a MK50 mk ii has popped up locally that Im on the fence about...
While i know it does the high gain thing in spades im wondering is it possible to achieve PLexi type mid gain tones like the (in)famous Scott Henderson blues albums - Tore down house/Dog Party/Well to the bone?

I know he used either a Matchless CLubman or DC 30 (depending on what/where you read) with a TS for those records and possibly the Caa OD for WTTB..
I currently have a Matchless Chieftain which is amazing but as Im shopping for a high gainer that can cover those tones also...

So in a nutshell - MK50 mk ii - mid gain plexi blues tone with authority??!!
Im guessing it'd have to be el34's - the mk can take these as well as 6l6's right?

Sorry if im rambling -
Thanks guys ;)

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Possible to achieve similar tone with a MK50 mkii?

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:42 pm

If you're looking for an upper-mid voiced Cornford, the Hellcat is the one you want. Run a Rane MPE 28 through the loop for some added low-end if you need it... You can pick one up on ebay for like $100.00 USD. Totally programmable, and as clean sounding as Tom Scholtz's PGE-2.

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by 59Bassman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 pm

The Matchless are based on classic VOX AC30s and thus I think it unlikely you will get the driven tone you want from the MK50 dialled back. A clever pedal in front might do the trick..

I opted for the EL34 RH30C especially to get in an early 60s British halfway house VOX/Marshall zone and in reality only ever use it as a boosted VOX or early Marshall clone - BUT I have to use a pedal or two to get there. The VOX is easier to achieve than the Marshall to my ears anyway. The RH30 doesn't do VOX AC clean unless you add some eq outboard - I achieve this with a Transparent Drive in fact. I have yet to fine the definitive tone combination with my Cornford... I don't like hyper gain/super noodles - bores the pants off me...
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

Aidanspaghetti
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by Aidanspaghetti » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Cheers Bassman,
I guess the Mk2 would be overkill for what i need. I love the Matchless and I keep forgetting its a different beast altogether once shes wound up!
Thanks for your response =)
Aidan