hurricane buzz

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

New Here
New Here

hurricane buzz

Post by dickieguitar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Hello all. A Cornford newbie here.

I tried out a second-hand Hurricane the other day and it sounded gorgeous, but a little bit buzzy with the reverb off and very buzzy with the reverb up. The seller has had it checked out by his tech, who says it's normal, a little bit of noise is to be expected because the output valves are too close to the speaker.

This wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews I read... anyone had experience of this?

New Here
New Here

Re: hurricane buzz

Post by singlecoils » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:56 am

Are you definately sure you're describing a "buzz" ? I find my Hurricane has a bit of mains hum but of course you can only hear that when you're not playing ! For me the mains hum is the only thing about the amp that I wish they'd have been more careful with. I once read that a DC valve heater supply sorts this out as does careful wiring layout to the valves. Having said that I once played at a friends house and there was NO hum !! So maybe I have a noisy incoming mains to my house. Has anyone any comment on this?