Carrera users and valve fiddlers - your opinions pls

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

mctoot
New Here
New Here

Carrera users and valve fiddlers - your opinions pls

Post by mctoot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 pm

First (I think) post, but a long time admirer of all things Cornford and finally picked up a Carrera second hand. Initially I was underwhelmed (virtually zero clean tone and little/no clean ish headroom, as well as a very ropey, buzzy drive tone), but then, when the kids and the neighbour were out, I decided to let rip further up the master vol dial (actually on full chat). Bugger me - what a transformation.

I know valve amps really do want to be worked hard, but this one seems actively to dislike being run quietly. My Egnater Tweaker is not so picky, though with that one I use pedals for dirt and just keep it on a sweet clean.

But as the search function on here is a bit rubbish, my question is on valve options: it's currently running a Sovtek 5881 and a Harma EL84. The 84 is probably the better sounding and certainly the louder of the two, which makes me think the Sovtek might be a bit iffy (?).

Has anyone had good results with other valves and/or brands? I mainly play classic rock stuff - AC DC through to GnR, as well as Tom Petty, the Stones, Journey, etc...

CHrisP86
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Re: Carrera users and valve fiddlers - your opinions pls

Post by CHrisP86 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:03 pm

I think that the 8 pin has the lower output which is why it's quieter but I'm not really a techie person so may be wrong. The EL84 is definitely the better sounding and louder in my Carrera as well.

Haven't tried any other valves yet but would like to try KT66/77/88. Need a crash course in amp biasing first though...

mctoot
New Here
New Here

Re: Carrera users and valve fiddlers - your opinions pls

Post by mctoot » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for that.

I've had a couple of weeks more with the amp and find that it's just not doing it for me. Sounds fab cranked - really fab - but at kids-asleep-in-the-evening volumes it's not what I was hoping for.

I think this one will be moved on. To be honest, it was probably a colossal mistake to spend that much on something I don't *NEED* just before Christmas...

If anyone in the SE of England is interested... :wink: