The First Cornford Post of 2014

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

The First Cornford Post of 2014

Post by 59Bassman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:24 pm

...goes to me!!

That's it - I have nothing new to report other than I am not selling my Roadhouse!

Have a good one all.
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

The Dark Lord
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Re: The First Cornford Post of 2014

Post by The Dark Lord » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I wonder if there will be any posts in 2015?

andy couchman
High Gain
High Gain

Post by andy couchman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Nah:

1. All Cornford amps will have lost their unique sound by then.
2. Guitar players will no longer be seeking out good tone.
3. Cornford amps will all have worn out by then.
4. Or being old will be unreliable and so never used (same reason no one ever uses a vintage Vox AC30 or Marshall on stage now...).
5. Oxblood will no longer be the new black.
6. No guitar player will be using valve amps by then, we'll all use i-phones connected in to the PA.
7. Guitars will all be replaced by keyboards anyway.
8. No one will play rock music any more.
9. Health and safety rules will prevent any amp weighing more than 2kgs from being carried around.
10. Valve amps will be banned because they use too much electricity.

Or a meringue?

:wave:
Andy

The Dark Lord
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by The Dark Lord » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I understand what you are trying to say, but Cornford amps weren't all that.

The Harlequin and Carrera have great crunch and lead tones - but aren't great clean. And that's where it ends. Those were the unique models - but everyone is making smaller amps nowadays.

The larger stuff isn't all that compared to what's out there - and was expensive by comparison. Just another company with a flawed business model which didn't make enough in sales to keep going.

Just have a look at the tumbleweed on this forum. Hardly anybody is interested.

I suspect Victory will go the same way.

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 pm

You may be correct on the business acumen DL...and I agree that after all these are only amplifiers...however...in a very long and active playing career....the big Cornfords are simply the nicest sounding amps I have ever played...Martin Kidd can clearly design and build good amps full stop. Yes it is a little quiet round here...but that's hardly surprising given the length of time since the troubles began and the fact that no one has been able (or willing) to buy a new Cornford for a while. A few pro players (Tremonti and Kotzen)....who no doubt have all the endorsements opportunities...and plenty of semi-pros around these parts are holding on to their big Cornfords.
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

bigbazz
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by bigbazz » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm

I'd never sell my Hellcat, it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard (which is why I bought it), I think prices will linger for a while and eventually increase with a strong chance of the brand becoming premium collector stuff. It's a shame that the company that made the best sounding guitar amps in the world is no longer in business though.

I wanted a Cornford for so long, glad I grabbed one while I could. I'm not really too fussed on the new Victory amps, and really I've stopped looking at buying new amps since I owned my Cornford, I genuinely think nothing else sounds as good.
Cornford Hellcat Combo
Peavey 5150 MK1 Head with bias mod.
1994 Ibanez Jem7V, 3 Strats and a 70's P-bass!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

d1dsj
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by d1dsj » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:43 am

Whilst it is quiet around here then it's up to us to keep this alive.... Gadget is good enough to mod the forum after all!

Ref the amps themselves, I have a Hurricane I re-housed into a wide 1 x 12 Cornford cab, a 2 x 12 MK cab, an older black chassis MK50H and a RK 4 x 12. I have kind of listed the 2 x 12 but that's only because I don't use it, it's a great cab. My MK50 is my favourite amp although I wish I'd never sold my Hellcat head. I won't lie, I have been around the stores and tried other makes, 65 amps and Bogner make some great amps.... just not awesome enough for me to change from my MK! The only other amp I have considered but can't try is a Friedman BE100. Again I just can't justify the outlay and besides it is a hot rodded Marshall type and the MK out Marshalls a Marshall and then some.... Lots. When the right Hellcat or RK amps come along I'm going to get them, not to collect but to use. As long as I get good ones quite honestly I couldn't give a rats ass what the resale value is in years to come 'coz I'm just going to play the crap out of them as I do my guitars! Long live Cornford.
Cornford owner again!

Mk50 Black chassis/ white headbox
R.K 4 x 12
Hurricane "wide body" combo
Cornford MK 2 x 12

andy couchman
High Gain
High Gain

Post by andy couchman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:09 am

Agree. I've still got my AC30 that I bought secondhand in the early 70s and it still sounds as sweet today as it did then. And it's probably worth more than the £65 I paid for it...

Similarly my Hellcat and Harlequin were bought as keepers, partly because my earlier cheaper amps always sounded good in the shop but never quite produced the sound I wanted later. They could get close but never spot on - a bit like a download vs a vinyl.

The Cornfords are lookers too - different, distinctive and classy. I'm a better guitarist because the amps pull out the best from my playing and encourage me to play better - although I've still got a way to go.

So, no plans to change and I hope I will carry on learning from you guys, despite being old enough to be a different generation to some!

Andy

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:43 pm

My Cornford stable is stil with me (see sig) and isn't going anywhere either.

Alas I don't get as much time to play as I'd like these days, but when I do, these have the sounds I want. The only other amp I own is a THD Univalve which I've always liked.

I've had lots of amps over the years and about the only ones I miss are an early 70s Marshall Superlead (for sheer 'oomph') and a Boogie mkIV narrow combo (for cleans mainly), but I'd only want them back alongside the Cornfords, not instead of.

I'd be interested to try/hear a Victory live some time, but I don't feel desperate to do so, or to buy one I'm afraid. I don't like the styling at all either. The (more important) sound could win me over of course, but not the looks.

I'm not idly dissing Victory by the way. I wish Martin every good luck with his new venture and would always want to support any high quality British amp builder. I kind of feel I have the 'original articles' already though and feel no need to cross-grade.
Carrera #1757 Built by Chris Jones 26-7-2007
MK50H #0167 Built by Martin Kidd 10-7-2003
MK50H II #0296 Built by Martin Kidd 28-2-2006
Hellcat #HC0025 Built by Martin Kidd 28-8-2002
RK100 #040 Built by Martin Kidd 18-1-2005
RK 4x12 #041 Built ~2005
RK 4x12 #079-0907 Built Sept 2007
MK 4x12