Roadhouse 30 back-up?

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Roadhouse 30 back-up?

Post by lefromagegrand » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Hey folks,

I purchased one of the last Roadhouse 30 combos last summer and since then, my band has gone from doing the odd gig to being out most weeks :biggrin: My question is: What amp would you guys recommend as a suitable back-up should anything major go wrong with the RH30?

Having followed the apparent sad demise of Cornford as an amp manufacture, I'm aware that sourcing a direct replacement/identical back-up may not be straightforward.

I typically play with the amps gain at around 2pm and then either use the on-board boost or if the pedal board is being used then either a TC Spark Booster or Mesa Fluxdrive OD. Guitars used are either a Strat, LP with P90s or a Tele.

I should add that I'm really happy with my RH30 and regularly get complimentary comments from punters at gigs about it. Any back-up would need to give similar performance etc.

Cheers
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc

Richardj
New Here
New Here

Re: Roadhouse 30 back-up?

Post by Richardj » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Don't know whereabouts you are, but I have been thinking of selling my RH30 combo.........

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:02 am

Roadhouses come up on eBay reasonably often. Why not just pick up a second one as a spare? Prob around 450 should get you a mint used example. I am thinking of the same for my RH30 head (although the heads seem a little less common than the combos).

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 am

Quickly checked and a RH30 head recently went for 395 and a 50 combo for 450. They come up once in a while - do a 'saved search' thingy!

lefromagegrand
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by lefromagegrand » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks RichM for your responses. Yeah, I have considered the eBay route and there are some real bargins out there sometimes. However it's also likely that most of the amps on there will be at least a couple of years old and will have seen some action themselves.

What I'd really like to do is keep my RH30 for the tidy gigs and use something else for when I'm playing dives etc. I haven't got any concerns over reliability really, but I would like to think it will be a proper long term keeper etc.

My band is playing some outdoor shows/festivals this summer and I know I'm going to be concerned about the Cornfords wellbeing then too - too many people and variables backstage etc. :-/
Cornford Roadhouse 30c
Fender CS Custom Deluxe Telecaster
Fender USA Standard Strat
Gibson LP Studio P90s
Fender GDEC-3
FX Patio - contributions from T-Rex, Mesa Boogie, TC Electronics, Line 6, etc

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:53 am

+1 on what has already been said.....if you are worried about a backup then the best solution is buy a used Roadhouse? They are about on eBay. A used Roadhouse is probably going to be more reliable than a new mass produced imported brand name amp.....

If it's just an emergency spare you need then you can get all sorts if cheaper tube amps that should get you a decent sound. Best to try a few and see what floats your boat.

Personally I always want the best sound I can get for any gig....I lump my beloved Cornfords around weekly.... You only live once.... :cool:
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by 59Bassman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 pm

I'd get one of these and output into your RH30 cab - simples!

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co ... ct/jca20h/

Yes JUST £169 !!!!!!!
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

lienffur
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by lienffur » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 am

Just putting it out there...I have a mint RH30 head and matching 2x12 cab...since I'm not in a band at present, they've never left the house since coming here from Andertons (out of more or less the final production batch).

In fact, they're so 'mint' that they've still got the 'Made in England' tags on them...never seen the need to take them off the handles.

Any interest?

Neil

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:04 pm

I probably should have said that my backup is a jet city - I have the jca22h which is stoopid cheap and compared to the rh30 goes like this :
Jet city pros:
1) two channels with separate masters
2) better fx loop - cleaner and more open sounding to my ears
3) OD tone pretty much on par with RH after eq fiddling (see below)
4) a bit more metal/hard rock when you are in the sort of mood - oodles of gain!! I play mainly gainy sounds and run OD preamp on just 5 or 6. Higher settings give more bass and low mids .... Linked to ....
5) more bass and thump through my conford 1x12

Jet city cons:
1) not quite as dynamic as RH - most likely the preamp design - not a boosted low gainer like RH
2) clean tone not as nice - el84 vs 6l6 is my view
3) doesn't sound nice without eq fiddling - the RH pretty much sounds great with nearly any setting including midday on all knobs - the JCA doesn't - I have to set treble to 1.5 and presence to 2 to get balanced sound - plus mid on around 4

Just buy one - I switch over from my RH every now and again and whilst I usually switch back for the ultimate touch sensitive feel, I am always immediately impressed by the rock tones especially. Ps my one has had cryo JJ tubes all through.

Rich.

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:44 pm

RichM wrote:I probably should have said that my backup is a jet city - I have the jca22h which is stoopid cheap and compared to the rh30 goes like this :
Jet city pros:
1) two channels with separate masters
2) better fx loop - cleaner and more open sounding to my ears
3) OD tone pretty much on par with RH after eq fiddling (see below)
4) a bit more metal/hard rock when you are in the sort of mood - oodles of gain!! I play mainly gainy sounds and run OD preamp on just 5 or 6. Higher settings give more bass and low mids .... Linked to ....
5) more bass and thump through my conford 1x12

Jet city cons:
1) not quite as dynamic as RH - most likely the preamp design - not a boosted low gainer like RH
2) clean tone not as nice - el84 vs 6l6 is my view
3) doesn't sound nice without eq fiddling - the RH pretty much sounds great with nearly any setting including midday on all knobs - the JCA doesn't - I have to set treble to 1.5 and presence to 2 to get balanced sound - plus mid on around 4

Just buy one - I switch over from my RH every now and again and whilst I usually switch back for the ultimate touch sensitive feel, I am always immediately impressed by the rock tones especially. Ps my one has had cryo JJ tubes all through.

Rich.
Yep...cracking amps...and stupidly good value.....I have a jca22H too which I just use for band rehearsals to save lugging the big gear around. I agree with your pros and cons...if anything it has a bit too much gain for me on the lead channel....the crunch is really nice though. I think I paid just over £200 for mine direct from the UK distributor. I still have the stock EL84's though so perhaps I should change these for something better.
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895