Tech support for Cornford amps

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Martyn
New Here
New Here

Tech support for Cornford amps

Post by Martyn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:41 pm

hi folks - wonder if you can help. I'm thinking about purchasing a cornford combo (something like a carrera) but have concerns about the tech support now that the company are no longer operating. how problematic would it be to get valves replaced or a repair carried out if something did go wrong? what is the reliability of this kit like? I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences as it sounds like a great little boutique amp
Cheers
Martyn

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Tech support for Cornford amps

Post by s&m freddy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 am

The amps are easy to work on, particularly the smaller hand wired amps.....any decent amp tech will have no problem working on them should the need arise. They are also the simplest so very little to go wrong. The Carrera is designed so that you can swap valves easily too....so no need to take to a tech to change valves on these.

Reading through the forum will give you a feel for the different models and any history if problems if there are any. Never had a Carrera...but my Cornfords are standing up very well to regular abuse...
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

Martyn
New Here
New Here

Post by Martyn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:31 am

Nice one Freddy thanks for the advice

Shrila
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by Shrila » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:25 am

I fully agree with s&m freddy. Carrera is very easy to maintain amp. Valves can be changed independently.

Martyn
New Here
New Here

Post by Martyn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:14 pm

is it possible to change valves over yourself in order to obtain different amp sounds - Fender, marshall etc or is this not advised?
I was also wondering whether the Carerra is switchable between 2 channels via a footswitch ie lead and rythym sounds within the same song?
Cheers

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Yes you can change the tubes for a variety of amp tones reflecting the tubes used in classic circuits such as...Vox, Marshall or Fender...but better as its a Cornford!

The small Cornfords are single channel amps...so not footswitchable for rhythm and lead. They are well known for cleaning up nicely on the guitar volume though.

Check out the Cornford website for the features of each model.

The Roadhouse (PCB) series have a footswitchable boost..... and the bigger handwired Cornfords (MK 50, MK50II, RK100 and Hellcat) have a variety of footswitchable channels or gain levels.
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

Martyn
New Here
New Here

Post by Martyn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:20 am

Thanks Freddy - I'm due to check out a Carerra at the weekend and will give you some feedback on my progress. I think that I could live with a single channel so long as it gives me an authentic 'old school' sound - I particularly like Paul kossof, Eric Clapton and Robbie Krieger - none of them had a flashy gimmick but they all had 'soul' and in my view that's what counts - it just doesn't get any better!
Cheers
Martyn

d1dsj
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by d1dsj » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:41 am

Hey Martyn, good luck with the search and don't forget to check out the Hurricane for those tones as it goes from Bluesbreaker to fairly hot.... But they are all awesome!
Cornford owner again!

Mk50 Black chassis/ white headbox
R.K 4 x 12
Hurricane "wide body" combo
Cornford MK 2 x 12

Martyn
New Here
New Here

Post by Martyn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 pm

well i just bought the Carerra - I wasn't sure at first but I plucked up the courage and its gradually winning me over!!! I've tried positioning it off the floor a bit and it sounds a whole lot better. Its got a solid blues tones but you can also get some great crunch with the gain turned up a bit. Most of all its just got an authentic 60's valve sound that really brings out the tone of the guitar - in my case an ES335. I think its a case of less is more with this one (there are no bells and whistles) as the quality just shines through - also its weird having your amp turned up full wack when your practising in your bedroom!! Now can anyone recommend any alternative valves that it may be fun to try out ........
Cheers
Martyn