Born late and been late ever since...

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Locrian
New Here
New Here

Born late and been late ever since...

Post by Locrian » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

I've never been fast at anything as far as I can remember but this is me saying hello :wave: . Apparently I was on time in buying a Cornford amp but somewhat late in arriving here it seems.

I bought a Cornford Hellcat combo back in 2005 and thought it would be nice to join the community anyway (even if there's nobody here but us chickens.) Needless to say that it put a real knot in my gut to discover (what appears to be) the end of Cornford amps and I was very sorry to hear that Paul Cornford had been ill.

Thanks for keeping this forum open, I think it's important. Ride on brothers.

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Born late and been late ever since...

Post by s&m freddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 am

Yep....still a few cluckers round here. There is a wealth of great information buried in these threads so worth a good rummage around. Seems to be a lot of people hanging on to their Cornfords around these parts.

Hope you like the Hellcat....what a great amp!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

Locrian
New Here
New Here

Post by Locrian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Having acquired a USA strat and a custom shop 335, two things I'd ached for from my beginnings with guitar, I made a decision to support quality English made products from that point onward. I bought a Fylde acoustic guitar (the best guitar I've ever played, let alone owned) and a Cornford Hellcat, which was, and still is, up there with the best amplifiers in the world (anyone who disagrees hasn't played one, is using it wrong, or is just... wrong.) I fell on harder times but someday I'll own an English made electric guitar, even if I have to commission one to get what I want.

I love the Hellcat, I thought it was awesome when I bought it and I still think it's awesome. I must be honest, as I get older the weight of it is less awesome than it used to be, every time I move it brings me closer to more osteopathic treatment. I might not be able to keep it forever for that reason alone, but I can't part with it until I can get something to replace it with (it has to be high end and it has to be English!)

d1dsj
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by d1dsj » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:18 pm

Yeah, Hellcats are cool amps for sure. I hope to replace the one I sold later this year!
Cornford owner again!

Mk50 Black chassis/ white headbox
R.K 4 x 12
Hurricane "wide body" combo
Cornford MK 2 x 12

andy couchman
High Gain
High Gain

Post by andy couchman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:36 am

Agree about the weight. Heavy aren't they!

I also have my old 1964 Vox AC30 which, at 75lbs is a pain to carry about.

When I got my Hellcat last year, I had previously bought a 2 x 12 cab, so buying a separate head made sense. Each item is still heavy but a lot easier to carry about. Just need to do an extra journey each way...

The amp is superb - excellent tones (needs a bit of time to find the best options and I'm still working on it in truth); beautifully built; not too complex but has all the things I need; even the chicken head controls make it easy to see on a dim stage what the amp is set to. It even looks the part with its oxblood tolex.

Very pleased I bought it and never plan to get rid of it (why would you?). Only question is whether to get an attenuator to make it more usable at home - I hear mixed views about such things so any comments gratefully received.

Andy

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 am

I found at higher levels attenuators colour the sound too much...maybe a Marshall Power Brake would work well but most of them seem to be simple devices (and the price is not justified either) that produce a metallic treble overtone. I think they are more use at slight attenuation if you need more power tube saturation live.

On the British gear front this thread has made me realise nearly all my main gear of choice is British now....because I prefer using it! My stage gear at the moment is a Cornford amp, Trace Elliot 3x12 cab with British made Celestions....and Gordon Smith guitars. If anyone wants a British guitar check them out...mine were all bought used...real working guitars...no frills...but a joy to play and a real range of tones with clever wiring...and you can find them used from around £200....advert over!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

Locrian
New Here
New Here

Post by Locrian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah, Hellcats are cool amps for sure. I hope to replace the one I sold later this year!
It's unlikely I'll be in a position to part with it for a few years yet but it's worth dropping me a pm if/when you're on the hunt for one - you'll get a straight answer either way. I really wasn't joking about the osteopath and I really struggle with moving it when I'm going through a bad spell with my back. I doubt I'll ever be able to find anything smaller that'll give me a hellcat smile when I plug into it though, let alone provide the diversity of sound/tone. Custom made Gartone maybe?
The amp is superb - excellent tones (needs a bit of time to find the best options and I'm still working on it in truth); beautifully built; not too complex but has all the things I need; even the chicken head controls make it easy to see on a dim stage what the amp is set to. It even looks the part with its oxblood tolex.
Same here mate, although I don't gig with mine. Sorry I can't help you on the attenuator thing as I've never used one. I go straight into the amp or sometimes through a Line6DL4 - I like to keep it simples (probably because I'm too thick to work out how to use all these fandangled pedals!) I've got an old WEM Westminster MkII for quieter times, which I intend on getting restored at some point, but it sounds lovely once its warmed up with my Gibson plugged in.
On the British gear front this thread has made me realise nearly all my main gear of choice is British now....because I prefer using it! My stage gear at the moment is a Cornford amp, Trace Elliot 3x12 cab with British made Celestions....and Gordon Smith guitars. If anyone wants a British guitar check them out...mine were all bought used...real working guitars...no frills...but a joy to play and a real range of tones with clever wiring...and you can find them used from around £200....advert over!
I had a look at the Gordon Smith website. I approve of the apparent no nonsense ethos and the guitars seem very reasonably priced. I'm disappointed in myself that I haven't heard of them before. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. If the right one turns up at the right price I think I'd like to try one of these.