Roadhouse 30 in detail

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

adamh
New Here
New Here

Roadhouse 30 in detail

Post by adamh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Having gigged the Roadhouse 30 for almost a year now I'd just like to answer a few questions on the amp that have appeared on this forum.

Volume:
I play in a 4-piece indie/rock band, (Killers, kings of leon, U2, stereophonics etc) mostly in pubs, using a les-paul studio. we have a very loud drummer, whose bass-drum is miced. I have the amp set up at 1/3 volume, 3/4 gain, no boost, and I can EASILY be heard.

Gain Structure and Boost.
3/4 gain is perfect for the majority of rock, indie rhythm, rolling back on the guitar volume for cleaner parts. On songs where I need cleaner parts still (e.g. Wonderwall), I simple turn the gain down on the amp. In my scenarios, the boost feature unfortunately doesn't provide enough of a volume boost for solos (as my gain is too high) and turning it down would sacrifice my rhythm tone. Indeed the only way you'll get a significant lead boost with 3/4 gain is to use a booster pedal in the effects loop, which boosts the signal however much you want. (I use a mooer pure boost). Of course if you prefer a lower gain, the boost feature would give you more of a volume boost without the need for another pedal. My advice is you won't know if the boost will work for you unless you try it. I've learned to lay off the gain with amp as it becomes less versatile the more gain you have. I started out by always having the boost engaged, but then cleaning up with the guitar volume becomes less effective. You don't really need a 3-channel amp if you approach things this way, less tap dancing and more freedom and expression in you playing.

Build quality:
It's heavy, no doubt about it, and quite bulky for it's power. But it's very well-made and built from solid pine. It's a reassuring amp to use. I've made a habit of replacing the valves once a year, which is £70, but for that I've had 60 gigs with no issues whatsoever. I'd advise this to anyone if you gig regularly, don't worry about spare valves or another backup amp. If the worst happens I have amp modelling through the P.A. with a zoom G3.

EQ.

At bedroom levels, it's impossible to get a bad sound out of the amp, but at gigging levels you'll need to tame the bass a lot as it'll mush out and become indistinct. I'd advise to always have the amp elevated at a gig (using a chair or whatever), because of the nature of the 1x12 design. This way the amp will sound clearer to the player and will more readily go into musical feedback.

Anyway, hope this info helps.

Adam

leos
High Gain
High Gain

Re: Roadhouse 30 in detail

Post by leos » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Regarding mushy bass: Change the speaker :) I dont exactly know what it is with the V30 in this combo - maybe its because it is front mounted :think:
I tried other V30 cabs with the amp and its definately not as mushy, but it still lacked "balls". I tried a bunch of speakers (G1275T's, greenbacks - real vintage ones, Celestion blues and golds), I even tried another V30 that was played in real good, but my search stopped right with the Celestion G12H30 - the cheap 70 anniversary chinese one!
This speaker suits the roadhouse combo perfectly, although my EQ settings seems quite radical - but the sound are much much fuller - this is NOT a slight difference: it gives the little combo balls I didnt imagine it had - the sound is big and much fuller. The G12H30 have much more bottom end than the V30, and isnt as tight - but it doesnt turn to mush. More like a deeper resonance that I love in my sound. I run the bass at around 2-3 o clock. The V30 is focussed in the mids and no doubt that the Cornfords have tuned their amps to work with this speaker .. I run the mids around 10-11 o'clock on the trebble down to 9 o clock to take off harshness.
It still isnt as punchy as my 100w Marshall 2203 or the Mk50II that I had. But it is now full sounding even without an extension cab, and it still (IMO) have the most beautyful superlead sound with rich chords, fat singlenotes, singing sustain and the perfect "fried bacon" sound when run on the edge of breakup.
Cornford RK100 (SE)
Cornford Mk50 II Black #450 (Martin Kidd)
Cornford MK412 Black
Cornford RH30 Combo (6L6 SE)