Couple of Hellcat questions

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Couple of Hellcat questions

Post by RichM » Sun May 04, 2014 9:03 am

Hi all,

Couldn't resist and now have a late Hellcat head to go with my wonderful RH30 head. Overall I'm delighted although the 'different' sound has thrown me a bit - I now definitely get the comments saying "the sound is different rather than better" when compared to my Roadhouse. To my ears the HC has a much more pronounced upper mid and is just more aggressive sounding - the RH sounds very 'smooth' in comparison. Anyhoo - my questions:

1. Master vol pots - they seem to be the "zero volume until you get to 1.X then loads of volume very quickly in the dial with power tube compression starting quite early - say around halfway up" - can I just check this is normal? I'm fine with it and I run both heads via a Motherload Elemental anyway but wanted to check if this is normal behaviour

2. V1 valve seating - I had a heart drop moment when I lost Ch1 drive whilst experimenting with preamp tubes. A bit of wiggling and all is back to normal but wanted to check opinions on whether this could be a wiring issue I should take a look at. Thought?

FYI - I've settled on my Harma Retro Cryo ecc83s as these seem to calm the upper mids when compared to the JJs I tried.

Rich.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Couple of Hellcat questions

Post by RichM » Sun May 04, 2014 10:59 am

Sorry - 1 more question for any HC owners/experts :
3. Mine had a couple of 12at7 valves for PI and reverb - I replaced with JJ 12ax7s - any down sides to doing that?? Or maybe that is causing my aggressive master vol??? Ie the higher gain PI tube??? What do you think??

R.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sun May 04, 2014 12:12 pm

So as I'm impatient, I tried popping the 12at7 back in v4 (PI) and it does indeed 'soften' the MV range - so I've ordered a decent couple of 12at7s to try in v4 and v5 (reverb) as the PM jobbies that came in V4 & V5 have no place being there...

If anyone wants to post their "ideal valve set for a Hellcat" then I'd be appreciative although nothing beatings experimenting :)

I'm heading for - Harma Retro Cryo 12ax7s in v1&2, cryo jj 12ax7 in v3, jan Phillips balanced 12at7 in v4 and a mullard 12at7 in v5.

Btw - say what you want about cryo 'snake oil' but the harmas in v1&2 are MUCH quieter than gold pin JJs (or normal JJs) which helps with the excessive gain on tap (I go no higher than 6 or 7 on ch1 gain).

Rich.

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Not Hellcat specific...but the valve bases often oxidise where there is no contact with the valve pins. I suspect this was the issue with needing to waggle the valve rather than wiring. My tech recommends a touch of electrolube in the bases when swapping tubes and running the valve in and out a couple of times to clean up the new contact patch.

I find JJ's a bit dark sounding in most amps....I tend to like the rounder but gutsy tone of EH 12AX7's in most preamp V1 an V2 positions.

p.s quite jealous of your Hellcat....would like to add one to my choice of amps.
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895