new MK50II owner. now about the tubes.....

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

firks
New Here
New Here

new MK50II owner. now about the tubes.....

Post by firks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi guys,

so ive been lurking on here for a little while, trying to find some answers but ive not really found what im looking for. So i thought i had better just ask! :)

my MK50ii has the stock valves in it and if being honest, im not 100% satisfied with the sound. this is how it sounds to me at present:

Clean: sounds great overall, maaaaybe lacking a bit of headroom though id say. volume - 10 o'clockish
overdrive: again sounds pretty great except it sounds sort of bland (perhaps not the right word) also ice picky. volume - 10 o'clockish
boost: dont particularly like it at all. way too harsh/ fizzy.
i also find that theres a lot of bass with this amp, which is good but i want that cut and presence too. i find that if you use too much presence, you get even more ice pickiness!

to be honest, i wish i could have an RK100 because i love the overdrive tone, especially on guthries album. its a real searing lead tone, i love it!
that is the tone i want, but i also need a dedicated clean channel. is there anyway i can swap some valves in order to get more of an rk100 overdrive/ lead tone? but i really dont want to lose clean headroom either because its not massive as it is.

i was thinking maybe a different set of 6l6's and or/ a different tube in v1
or will el34's not compromise the clean headroom much?

basically guys just throw some valve suggestions my way that will give me an rk100 or i suppose marshally tone but without destroying the clean headroom room! :)

Anthony
High Gain
High Gain

Re: new MK50II owner. now about the tubes.....

Post by Anthony » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:10 pm

First off, the MK50II loves JJs right the way through. This might sound silly, but try it: if it's too bright, stick a non true bypass wah up front. It'll roll of the top end really nicely.

Redrum100
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by Redrum100 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi

Why not try a graphic eq in the loop to experiment with - Its a quick way to sculpt your sound to the room you are playing in.
If you have issues with harsh top end this may calm things down.
I have tried many valve combinations and biased them correctly - however I could never get the sound I was looking for.
I sold up and moved on - but ymmv as there are many happy Cornford owners, who love the sound they get from their amps.

Cheers

Red

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Changing preamp tubes from JJ to Mullards softened the high end on both my Roadhouse and Hellcat. For me graphic eqs never really fixed a sound I didn't intrinsically like ... worth a try though given the change costs!!!

firks
New Here
New Here

Post by firks » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:49 pm

cheers for that guys! sorry for the late reply.

i actually ended up putting tad el34's in and it sounds great. its biased cold though in and effort to keep as much clean headroom as possible. i do wish this amp was 100w for that reason to be honest.

there is one problem i have with the amp that im hoping a change of tubes or something may cure for me though. with both the rubys that were in it and the new tad, the overdrive boost sounds too harsh/fizzy/nasty for me. its better when its dialled back but then theres not enough needed for some solo's. will a change of preamp tube help that?

cheers again guys

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 pm

firks wrote:Hi guys,

so ive been lurking on here for a little while, trying to find some answers but ive not really found what im looking for. So i thought i had better just ask! :)

my MK50ii has the stock valves in it and if being honest, im not 100% satisfied with the sound. this is how it sounds to me at present:

Clean: sounds great overall, maaaaybe lacking a bit of headroom though id say. volume - 10 o'clockish
overdrive: again sounds pretty great except it sounds sort of bland (perhaps not the right word) also ice picky. volume - 10 o'clockish
boost: dont particularly like it at all. way too harsh/ fizzy.
i also find that theres a lot of bass with this amp, which is good but i want that cut and presence too. i find that if you use too much presence, you get even more ice pickiness!

to be honest, i wish i could have an RK100 because i love the overdrive tone, especially on guthries album. its a real searing lead tone, i love it!
that is the tone i want, but i also need a dedicated clean channel. is there anyway i can swap some valves in order to get more of an rk100 overdrive/ lead tone? but i really dont want to lose clean headroom either because its not massive as it is.

i was thinking maybe a different set of 6l6's and or/ a different tube in v1
or will el34's not compromise the clean headroom much?

basically guys just throw some valve suggestions my way that will give me an rk100 or i suppose marshally tone but without destroying the clean headroom room! :)
Change the .1uf bass capacitor in both tone-stacks to MKT368 .033uf/400v. If you want more bass in either tone-stack, go to .047uf/400v. Use SED =C= power, and Sovtek 12AX7LPS preamp valves.