Marshall Magic...??

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

Marshall Magic...??

Post by 59Bassman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:32 pm

I think I like the sound of the JTM45 - I don't like the modern 'J' 'D' 'A''ones at all... I am not sure the Bluesbreaker is all that - other than bloody heavy! Those twin greenbacks in a tight space sound a bit flabby to me, but if you don't dial it, the BB can sound nice. I do like the 1974x and the 1973x 2x12... and I recently heard an old Bass 50 model that rocked... and the Super Leads to me beat the Plexi... I do not have any direct reference to 'The Pig'... but Mick Ronson made it sound decent enough!

So, I checked out some prices and well, lets say that for any decent Marshall, or clone or original or reisssue you need best part of a couple grand. In fact EL34 amps in this genre are thin on the ground and that is why I am perfectly happy to hang on to my RH30C - It can be dialled to those vintage tones and you only need to add a nice boost and//OD and/or vintage Fuzz (dialled back of course - we aren't 14 year olds are we..!), then you have a lot of tone to tap. Get that extra 1x12 linked in and you deffo get that BB thickness of sound as well...

Yes I miss a bit of reverb/tremolo/presence and even a tad more brightness to the clean... but a pedal or two is easy enough to load into the mix. Seems to me that my £500 was quite a good investment after all...
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

Carl
Mid Range
Mid Range

Re: Marshall Magic...??

Post by Carl » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:11 am

I own both a vintage Super Lead and new Lead 50 clone, both with matching cals loaded with vintage Celestions. I love both of them and I have owned the Super Leads for decades, but the amp I am using most of the time is my Roadhouse 30 Combo, because with my Himmelstrutz pedals ( http://www.himmelstrutz.com ) I can make it sound very close to my vintage style Marshalls, but at sensible volume levels. The Cornford is a tad more sophisticated sounding, but that's not always a bad thing. :)

I really hope that someone some day will start producing them again!

ianj
Mid Range
Mid Range

Re: Marshall Magic...??

Post by ianj » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm

It's quite simple really!
The Carrera is the amp."marshall should have built."
Nuff said.