Tone compare vs Boogie please

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Tone compare vs Boogie please

Post by RichM » Sat May 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi there,

Have always promised myself a Boogie (most likely a Mark IV or V) but finding it hard to find one to try out. Can anyone give me a quick comparison vs a Hellcat? Or Roadhouse? (both of which I have) ... pros and cons mainly ... things that are important to me are transparency, an OD tone that 'cleans up', articulation with fast single note plaing, pick attack/clarity especially on wounds strings. These are all things that my Hellcat does better than any other amp I've tried ... can a Boogie do it???

Cheers,

Richard.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Tone compare vs Boogie please

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Mon May 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Well, this isn't exactly quick... If you prefer Marshall over Boogie, there's your answer. The Hellcat circuit is based on Marshall. I use to compare my HC to a more compressed JCM800 50 watt. Boogie, as you already know, is a completely different animal altogether. I've gigged using a Boogie Mark IIC+ and a Hellcat. I'll sum it up this way... It's tough to beat a Boogie! When I stopped playing live, I sold the Boogie, and then bounced from MK50H II, to Hellcat, to MK50 (blackface), to Hurricane, back to MK50H II, and then settled on an RK100. The RK100 is my personal favorite in the Cornford line. I kept my Hellcat for several weeks, which I eventually sold.

Boogie tones are haunting! They have a certain "fluidity" to them, that (to my ears) is unmatched by most amplifiers. I missed these tones, but I didn't want to spend a bundle of cash on another Mark IIC+ amplifier. Enter one TX4-D Mesa/Boogie Triaxis preamp! Running the Mesa/Boogie Triaxis through a loop switcher > effects return of my RK100, gives me all of the greatest Boogie tones. I have no use for any other rig, except a small grab-and-go combo for impromptu gigging amp... I'm waiting on a combo version of the Boogie Mark V 25 watt to be released.

As far as the Mark IV and Mark V go... I prefer the Mark IV Rev A over the Rev B. The Mark V (per my experience) was a glitchy amplifier. I believe this was due to excessive heat, but who knows? I owned two of them, and both were glitchy after several hours of playtime. If you dig the EL84 vibe, I would seriously consider checking-out the Boogie Mark V 25 watt model.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Well I've snagged a Mesa Studio Pre to try out ... will try feeding into the power section of my RH30 (6L6s) when it arrives! Most people seem to put them in the Mark IIC+ / Mark III space tonally ... fingers crossed.

R.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Wed May 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Excellant preamp! :thumbup: It's 1/2 of a Mesa/Boogie Quad, and may be the best preamp I've personally ever played through. Quad, Studio Pre, and Triaxis... All three are fabulous!

(Tip: Stay away from Mesa/Boogie Formula preamp.)

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Thu May 07, 2015 6:52 am

Thanks - fingers crossed!! Should arrive tomorrow...

What do you use for your loop switching? I was thinking I'd need a signal split/buffer to feed both the main preamp and the Studio Pre plus a ABY type pedal in the loop to switch between so I can jump from the Mesa preamp to the Cornford. How do you set it up??

Quite happy with the clean sound from the RH pre so a nice way of getting another channel with independent EQ which is clearly a drawback of the Studio Pre design (vs. a Quad/Triaxis etc).

R.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Thu May 07, 2015 7:23 pm

No ABY or buffer devices needed... I use the switch loops in my TC2290 delay. Plug your guitar into the 2290 (or other loop switcher) input. My switched loop contents are: #1 dbx 160A Compressor - #2 Triaxis preamp- #3 RK100 preamp - #4 Rocktron Analog ProChorus - #5 Lexicon Reverb. Run the 2290 (or other) output into your amplifier effects return. All switching is done via MIDI. If you don't need more than 5 loops (4 x mono 1 x stereo), the 2290 is the way to go. It's delays alone are worth the cost.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Fri May 08, 2015 9:51 pm

Just spent some time with the Studio Pre into my RH30 6L6 power section and my 1x12 and 2x12 Cornford cabs and ..... well ... just wow .... Loads of fiddling to do and all the web advice to keep bass low etc all super useful to get a great, smooth, tight, fluid tone .... This is a special bit of kit and my early nineties unit is in perfect condition and function. This has to be a great way for that classic Mark IIC+ tone for much less £ .... Such a smooth, singing, biting tone ... really impressed.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Sat May 09, 2015 12:42 am

:thumbup:

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sat May 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Spent a load of time fiddling and then going back to the Hellcat to compare. Kinda preferring the overall tone of the StuPre+RH30 just now but it could still be 'honeymoon syndrome'. The StuPre is definitely much more flexible e.g. quite small changes in the 5 band EQ create quite differently feeling tones ... The beauty and possibly the flaw with the HC is that it sounds like it sounds and there is no real way of making it sound bad .... Also popped in a couple of old Mullards in the StuPre and it opened up the tone a tad (long plate f91 in V1, short plate i63 in V3) but nothing that radical - the stock Mesa branded valves (sovteks?) are pretty good I guess.

Def a major upgrade compared to the RH preamp section which is now sounding a little flat and dull in comparison ... And has nowhere near the single note separation / articulation / fluidity of the StuPre or HC.

A good buy!!! Recommended ;)

R.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Sun May 10, 2015 3:59 am

I prefer the Triaxis preamp over the RK100 preamp, when using high impedance pickups.