Tone compare vs Boogie please

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: Tone compare vs Boogie please

Post by RichM » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:33 am

I notice that the Hellcat doesn't have a bypass cap on V1b so maybe that's why the impact is less severe. V1b just has a cathode resitor in the HC design so no roll off at all. I am actually finding myself using both settings - with the 2,2uF it has a vintagey, softer, 'squishier' saturation to the bottom end - with the 470nF, tighter, more focused etc. Quite a nice choice.

The issues with my StuPre seem to arrive when its got hot and I noticed the tube sockets were very tight and hence suspect too much wiggling has broken a solder joint on one of them. Will have a look at reflowing it and see if that fixes matters.

Richard.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 pm

It would be interesting to hear what the bypass mod sounds like on the HC. I preferred the HC through Cornford's 2x12 cabinet. To my ears, their pine construction is key to the Cornford tone recipe.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:35 am

I have a Cornford 2x12 (closed back - 1xV30, 1xGreenback) and a 1x12 (open back V30) and at the moment I use both in parallel which gives the mid range focus and punch from the 1x12 but with the bottom end and fullness from the 2x12. Whenever I try just one or the other, I end up reverting back to using both. Note that I run the amps through a Motherload Elemental attenuator then into the 2 speaker cabs. Agree with the pine cab sound - I've sold all my other cabs, and I like the Cornford cab sound best with other amps too (like the Boogie).

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:09 pm

I fitted mine with a set of Alnico Gold drivers @ 16 Ohm. My two favorite drivers are Alnico Gold and G12M Heritage. My Jubilee cabinet has the original '87 G12T-75's, which are fabulous sounding drivers, if that's your thing. The '88 and later G12T-75's don't seem to sound as good? As much as I like the G12's, they're coming out in-favor of a quad of G12M Heritage drivers.

G12M vs G12H (75Hz) comparison...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql29EXurq5M

G12M - all day long! :thumbup:
Last edited by SabbadiusUSA on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Might try some Alnicos soon ... have been thinking about a blue or gold for some time. How would you describe the change from a V30 to an Alnico gold say?

ps. The bypass cap switch actually makes quite a bit of difference ... I was playing quite quietly when I was trying it initially. The reduction in bass affects the 'thump' quite a bit ... which I see as a drawback but it is necessary to tighten up the tracking with high gain on the wound strings. Think a GEQ in the loop is happening soon...

R.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:33 am

Yeah... I prefer the HC stock.

Alnico Gold's are nice, but I'd go with a pair of Celestion G12H30 Heritage 55Hz drivers. I don't like mixing drivers, but this might be a good pairing.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:45 am

Okay latest is that I've taken the switch out and green LED back in to make the HC visually unaltered and I've hardwired a NOS Mullard (rainbow one) 1uF for the V1a cathode bypass. Decided that the 470nF was a bit too extreme and didn't like the fiddly switch (didn't fit that easily on the insude with the vintage gain pot in the way). Everything nice now - tighter but more subtle. I know this is what you suggested in the first place - maybe should've lisened :) ... never has been a strength of mine :D

R.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:30 pm

1uf is perfect in the RK to my ears.