MK 50H II vs. Boogie Mark V

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Which is your favourite?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:21 am

Right channel/first amp
100%
Left channel/second amp
No votes

Total votes: 1

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

MK 50H II vs. Boogie Mark V

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:21 am

My two favourite amps so far; I decided to compare them on a medium-ish gain setting as traditionally this is where the Boogie would be weaker. See what you think.

Each amp is played through its own matching V30 cab and dialled in for the best possible tone in the room. Guitar-amp-cable-SM57-Logic

https://soundcloud.com/donnyboiler/pana ... -vs-mark-v
Last edited by donnyboiler on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giga
High Gain
High Gain

Re: MK 50H II vs. Boogie Mark V

Post by Giga » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:05 pm

For starters, props for taking the time to do this !

I think something is off here; assuming you didn't make any adjustments in Reaper (so a straight recording) there's way too much difference in tone. My guess would be you miked the cab quite differently...

For a fair comparison, use the micing position and gainsettings in your daw for the louder of the two and just switch between the amps.

The way it is now we are comparing 2 completely different chains and sets of circumstances.

No insults meant, YMMV, IMHO etc. etc.....

Giga

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:06 pm

I know what you mean. The Cornford was recorded months ago so there's nothing I can do now. But both have the same mic position and recording technique, so the difference you are hearing is Cornford-Cornford cab vs Boogie-MESA cab, allowing for slight differences in mic position. I always use the same mic position - right where the dustcap meets the cone, allowing for slight variation I suppose.

I've fixed the volume differnce now btw. Again they are two different sounds with two different dynamic envelopes but I've got them as close as I can I think. I can turn it down to the point where the right one is noticeably quieter and it will still punch more at points.

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:41 pm

To prove my point I've done another. I've attempted to remove all unwanted variables this time - both amps are straight down the middle with no backing and I've triple checked my mic position is the same as usual.

It's worth pointing out that the MESA uses MESA branded V30s and a much harder/thicker grille cloth, which accounts for a lot of the differences I believe.

Amps are the same way round in this clip and there is no post-EQ. It's interesting how the removal of the backing track shows them in a different light, I think.

Go here to vote separately viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22253&p=38206#p38206

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by donnyboiler » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Cornford was second btw...