I don't understand why the Roadhouse don't sell....

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

I don't understand why the Roadhouse don't sell....

Post by RichM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:11 am

Having spent a little more time with my RH30h, I am starting to wonder why they have never sold well. For a current new price of 499 what can you get that beats it? And surely it's not a brand thing ... Cornford is synonymous with 'high end'. So what is it?

My theory is that they are :
A) perceived as the 'budget' range. Compare to the JVM which are average but seen as the 'top' Marshall.
B) PCB rather than PTP. Okay so there is a certain kudos with an amp that has been hand soldered etc etc but there is no hard evidence that PCB sounds worse and there is good evidence that they are more consistent. So is this just snobbery?

I was looking at a JVM or VM to replace my DSL but all the great things I heard about PTP Cornfords (MK, hellcat, RK) are all there in the RH and it costs a fraction ... So why are they not selling ....

Compare to amps such as Suhr or Budda etc and RHs look like a steal ... Maybe that's cos they are .....

Anyway, I'm just glad I took the plunge, didn't get too hung up by PTP wiring and am enjoying high end tone for low/mid range £ .... Go figure (as an American might say)

R.

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: I don't understand why the Roadhouse don't sell....

Post by ian29gte » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:08 am

I have Hellcat and RH30 amps. They sound different to each other, and I like them both, but of the two, the RH30 is by far the best value. And I maintain that it's a pub-gigger's delight. Possibly not clean enough for some, and it lacks a reverb, but those are the only points of criticism that could be levelled at it.

Maybe it's to do with marketing? There's not too many places that sell Cornford amps. And, as you say, Cornford is known for PTP-wired amps, and maybe the kudos thing rears its ugly head?

Who knows, but I'm happy enough with mine, and don't intend to sell it.

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Yep...i agree...its all about marketing. Look at Blackstar.... from zero to hero by masses of marketing .......subsequently you can find stockists everywhere. Lots more people would probably want a Cornford if they actually got to see and play one. I started GASsing for a Cornford after seeing and hearing a couple of other guitarists using them live.

There are loads of videos and clips on YouTube etc. for other brands. Appart from Andertons there is not that much on cornfords. The guitar press reviews have always been great so the market was/is there for the taking with the right management and investment!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:43 pm

That's because Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa aren't using them.

I've been a Nestle's Quick fan all my life. Since discovering Joe favors Ovaltine, I'm now an official Ovaltine convert! My Eric Johnson Strat should be here any day now... :wink:

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm

I agree that it is probably visibility/endorsement - you see Marshalls everywhere and therefore they will always attract copycats .... I guess that the bigger manufacturers pay top $ to top players to make sure all the aspiring people out there will follow suit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a MK50, hellcat, the works if money was no object but given I live in the real world, I think the RH is stunning.

Get em while they are still just about making them I say!!

R.

hunter
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by hunter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:48 pm

In that price range there are loads of great amps, like the Egnater Tweaker 40 and many many more. Most people want two channels, a real clean and a dirt. The RHs don't do that so well.

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Yes I think the one channel thing is a big turn off for people especially those that haven't got used to using their guitar volume knob :)

Perhaps they are too cheap and have ended up competing on features not tone ... I think they also went too far with the budget build (from a marketing point of view) - stick with PCB but opt for chassis mounted pots and valve bases would make construction equivalent to most 'boutique' brands - Soldano, Suhr, Budda and the better Mesas etc.

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 am

SabbadiusUSA wrote:That's because Eric Johnson and Joe Bonamassa aren't using them.

I've been a Nestle's Quick fan all my life. Since discovering Joe favors Ovaltine, I'm now an official Ovaltine convert! My Eric Johnson Strat should be here any day now... :wink:

It's no wonder. We all got bombarded with Nestle adverts when we were kids!

Giga
High Gain
High Gain

Post by Giga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 am

I think the crowd that is shopping in that price segment typically is not concerned the least bit by the whole PTP/PCB discussion even if they know what that is anyway.

I think the problem lies in the fact that Cornford is overtaken on features, price, service and maybe even revenue for the store (don't know about that ) by so many other brands/amps that most stores are hesitant to start selling them.

Giga

kell
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by kell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 am

hunter wrote:... Most people want two channels, a real clean and a dirt. The RHs don't do that so well.
I agree with hunter, so was my experience, too. Sold my RH30 Combo after half a year. Don't get me wrong, tone was good, but I prefer my HellCat, which gives me the flexibility I need.

This has nothing to do with hand wired or PCB, both are equal if done right. The RH30 is a very well constructed solid amp!

Cheers,
Kell