I don't understand why the Roadhouse don't sell....

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Re: I don't understand why the Roadhouse don't sell....

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm

I use to see white Gibson Explorer's selling for $700.00 to $800.00 on average. Then (what seemed like overnight), the prices jumped into the $1200.00 range? Last week I was talking to a guy who wanted to purchase my VOX AC30 Heritage head. He had mentioned that he was also looking for an ES335, and also a white Explorer. :think: I told him that I too had been looking at purchasing those very same guitars, but the prices are just too high. He replied; "Are you a Dave Grohl fan too?" :wtf:
Last edited by SabbadiusUSA on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 am

I do remember asking the guitar/amp man in one of the largest music retailers in the U.K. why he didn't stock Cornford. He told me it was because they were 'unreliable in their supplies; a nightmare to deal with'. I don't know if that's true, but there you are.

SabbadiusUSA
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by SabbadiusUSA » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:19 am

ian29gte wrote:I do remember asking the guitar/amp man in one of the largest music retailers in the U.K. why he didn't stock Cornford. He told me it was because they were 'unreliable in their supplies; a nightmare to deal with'. I don't know if that's true, but there you are.
I was told the same thing here in the USA. I didn't really want to go down that road though... :cool:

ian29gte
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by ian29gte » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 am

Indeed sir, and I understand your reticence. I, on the other hand, just told it as it was told to me, and I believe it to be true.

Speaking as a businessman, ultimately, selling equipment is about making money. It's not about "Well, we might have one delivered to the shop next week, or we may have to wait until next year." Businesses cannot survive on such promises, particularly in the current climate. Even if a company produces the best product in the world, it still may not survive without the correct marketing, and infrastructure behind it.

In addition, the PTP-wired amps are expensive, but they're also very expensive to make in comparison to PCB-wired units. If it takes 25 hours to wire one by someone who knows what he's doing, then how much would the labour rate for such a technician be? Add in the costs of the parts supplied, transformers, valve, capacitors, cabinets etc, and all the other company overheads like insurance, premises, and utilities. Then ask yourself how many amps the company actually sells each week due to them not being aggressively marketed, or even universally available. They'd have to be flying off the shelf to keep a decent level of profit. Price them higher, and you're out of the market altogether.

Some may think I am being over-critical. But take off the rose-tinted specs, and perhaps what I say may start to make sense. That said, it's a cottage industry folks, and perhaps that's the way we want it to stay, out of the big machine. And if we do, then we have to accept some consequences, make some concessions, and simply keep our fingers crossed.

Nudge68
High Gain
High Gain

Post by Nudge68 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 am

Agree 100%.

I think we have a handle on the Cornford state of affairs.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide what suits their requirements.

cheers,

Matt.

richard
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by richard » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:06 pm

All such a shame. If they had been able to expand on the PCB line and had the business acumen to go with it Cornford would have been world beaters. I still can't believe how good my Roadhouse combo is.

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by 59Bassman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:53 pm

There actually is a simple answer - human nature!

Cornford were (are) always highly regarded as a British Boutique p2p builder and the earlier amps are much sort after. However, The Roadhouse fell into a price point where you have to 'educate' the market as at this point they are easily distracted by the other sheep and end up playing safe and following the flock. These are also where the so-called 'tone-hunters' reside but largely have no clue, and constantly add yet another pedal to the board and hope for the best... They have no role model to follow... Owning a 'Badge' is as important to them too.

I had a new 59 Bassman and it was in for a Fender warranty repair. Took 5 months before I was told it was irreparable and they refunded me. I had just read the Guitarist Gold review and being near Guildford took a leap of faith on my RH30combo with the refund money. It is a good amp and has a specific sound but is not a Bassman. I have added a couple or so amps for that need and the RH30c gives me a modern tone but also a nice VOX-y vibe (EL34s). I run it clean and often drive with a transparent drive and the Boost permanently enabled to get good 60s Marshall-esque tone. Strangely and unlike the other sheep - I have no desire to sell it for either a Chinky-built VOX or a modern Marshall... I therefore think that owning a Cornford is only for the 'discerning' player!
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

RichM
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by RichM » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:48 am

Speaking as someone who couldn't really give a stuff for the branding and/or what 'superstar' guitarists (are paid to) play - I am simply pleased I can get this sound from something that costs so little - long may it last! ... So I, for one, am happy ... Even though my surname happens to be Marshall ;)

oozelumbird
New Here
New Here

Post by oozelumbird » Tue May 07, 2013 6:05 pm

I love my Roadhouse RH30, it's clean enough for me with the standard Gain on about 5-6 with single coils, and gets cruncy with a humbucker using the same setting. The boost (again on about 5-6) simply takes me to crunchy, warm Marshall territory. Anything more is achieved with a boost pedal. I'm in a couple of bands, and use the RH in a covers band, moving between Hendrix, Green Day, and 70's funk.

I had a Laney GH50, for many years, and loved it - but the Roadhouse is a much better sounding amp, IMO. Same features, but warmer mids, and more touch-responsive.

I also have a Harlequin, and a Hellcat head, just for comparison. :)
Boomshanka.

Fixxxer
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by Fixxxer » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Having owned a MK50 and Rk100 and now (as of two weeks ago) an RH30. I think my favourite has to be the RH30! Cornford's supposed budget range.

I had the MK from 2006-08 and the RK 2008-10 (had a few years off the gigging scene after 2010 so didn't really need a big, heavy stack) I went through Fender, Vox and Orange and came full circle back to Cornford two weeks ago. I tried to stay away as I saw things going bad to worse and didn't want to be stuck with an amp that had no support from the makers. Maybe this has something to do with the lack of sales? I am a massive Cornford fan and I got put off buying one just because of the state things are in! After not being able to find anything that comes close to the RK for tone I bit the bullet and got myself a RH30 combo from Andertons for £599, this is an absolute steal.

I don't consider the RH series budget, because nothing about the amp screams budget! Like I said before I prefer it over both MK and RK for tones (not as flexible no, but for what I want it is perfect) I just wish that people would stop viewing PCB as crap... if it is designed well it is just as good as PTP (sound wise) yes Cornford marketed themselves as handwired and probably shot themselves in the foot when preaching to masses that PTP is best and then 8 years down the line they turn around and say the once evil PCB is actually alright.

Marketing truly is everything these days. Blackstar, Orange and Marshall are proof of this... Just look at Evil Robot! who here has ever really known that the Troubadour 214 was an amazing amp before they started replicating and marketing it with Phil X in tow? It is relatively new to this country but Andertons are giving it a massive push and not doubt depending how that goes the ads will start appearing.
Cornford RH30
PRS CU22 with BKP Black Dogs
Homemade 60s style Wah