New Cornford Hellcat Combo owner

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

lessthanone

New Cornford Hellcat Combo owner

Post by lessthanone » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:24 am

Well, I've been lusting over a hellcat combo for almost 2 and a half years and finally after 2 and a half years my patience has paid off. I live in the US so what few have made its way over were selling for $4000/us new. Me being very savvy almost always buy used to get good deals. I've been waiting that long for one to pop up used and it finally happened. Got an incredible deal too and guitar center says its almost mint condition. it should be in by the end of the week and I can't wait

Anyways, I would like to know what to expect. I've read so many reviews on these but their aren't many sound samples out there. I play mostly hard rock and metal. One of the main things I want to know....How "brown" can the vintage channel get with the gain turned up? I've read it can get into early VH1 territory but there is no one demoing it that way. As far as the modern channel, I've watched the mega music demo one youtube a thousand times and love that tone.

Another concern, I plan on retubing it as soon as it gets here but I've read issues with certain tubes? I want to use now siemens el84's but want to make sure they will be fine.

Any hellcat info/input will greatly be appreciated from a very eager, new Cornford owner

bigbazz
Mid Range
Mid Range

Re: New Cornford Hellcat Combo owner

Post by bigbazz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 am

I've owned a Hellcat Combo for a few months now and am in love with the amp.

I run a compressor into the front with a reduced voltage (old battery or power supply with a sag output, I use a Voodoo Laps pedal power 2 to do it) into the low input, for me that gives me the right texture for creating the "brown" sound.

Personally I dont think the amp itself is very "EVH" sounding though, but it will work in that territory very well. All I can say is that to me it is probably the best sounding amp in the world, I've played and loved many amps but my Hellcat is just the one I had been waiting for.
Cornford Hellcat Combo
Peavey 5150 MK1 Head with bias mod.
1994 Ibanez Jem7V, 3 Strats and a 70's P-bass!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

declarationend
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by declarationend » Sat May 03, 2014 4:51 pm

I've seen one of these for sale and I wondered about the authenticity of it since the Cornford site doesn't appear (if I missed it, my bad) to feature it anywhere.. ?

Were these really in production? so when abouts did these begin being hade in relation to the hellcat head? Anyone have any info on their production/ how many were made... or anything else of interest to offer (I'm thinking in terms of accessing the valves come replacement time etc...)

kell
Master Volume
Master Volume

Old Cornford Hellcat Combo User

Post by kell » Sat May 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi,

I own a HCC, so they were produced. :idea: :surprised: :biggrin:

Kell

Tellboy
High Gain
High Gain

Re: Old Cornford Hellcat Combo User

Post by Tellboy » Sat May 03, 2014 10:46 pm

kell wrote:Hi,

I own a HCC, so they were produced. :idea: :surprised: :biggrin:

Kell
Yep - got mine on eBay in 2008.

The 'problem' with EL84s only affected some early HC heads which were designed with Sovtek EL84s. This had been sorted by the time the combos were produced. I have used JJs etc in mine with no problems and as all valves are chassis mounted they are very easy to change. Great amp - the only problem I found was the weight - I fitted a set of heavy duty castors to mine.

declarationend
Low Wattage
Low Wattage

Post by declarationend » Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm

thanks for the replies... and sorry to hijack a thread !

How gig-able are the hellcat combos? I have toyed with the idea of picking up a cornford head for a while, since I have a harlequin in use at home and it's superb sounding.. now the hellcat head seems to be in perfect situ for gigs since it has that extra headroom than say the hurricaine (although, I would love one anyway) so those 35w could really be a workhorse in a live situation, but I woouldn't want to be too precious about it as I gig amps pretty hard.

The caveat is that I've played through a roadhouse 30 head and for some reason to me it didn't have the same dynamic 'touch' as the harlequin I have... and this was cranking it up in a studio too, so the differences in power/use were pretty similar as I've pretty much used the harlequin cranked really high at times, and it really does have some burn on it.

I'm just worried about buying an expensive Cornford head/combo and hard-gigging it to hell.... Are they robust and can they take a bit of brutality getting moved about?

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Mon May 05, 2014 11:19 am

In terms of reliability I have gigged my RK100 non stop for 2 years and that is lumping it in and out of the car myself (no roadies or flight cases on the UK pub circuit!)......it gets a hard time. The only issue I had was power tubes redplating once..... :arrow: which was down to dirty valve bases....been totally reliable otherwise....its built like a tank!

I'd also love a Hellcat :mrgreen:
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

bcd123
New Here
New Here

Post by bcd123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:29 am

Hi all,
I've recently become a Cornford Hellcat combo owner also, having previously owned a Hurricane for a short while and have been having a few issues which I'd be curious to know how common these might be.

The serial number for mine HCC0037 and it was made in about 2004. When it first arrived the Vintage channel seemed to work well although a little gainy (not unlike the Mega music clip) and the gain channel sounded horrible.

Being tech savvy I investigated further and replaced 3 of the switching optos with the more common Vactec Vactrol VTL5C1 variants (some old second hand ones I had) and this seemed to improve it - but not entirely.

I next investigated the possibility of the reverb problem as I noticed that the internals of mine had the cathode bypass cap and the murata cap linking Aode to cathode which some say should be removed. Removing the tube had no major effect so it wasn't that.

I read somewhere on here that people don't favor the Electro Harmonix preamp tubes and these were in the first 4 slots so I replaced those with JJ and things improved dramtaically.

I still would like to replace the MV opto couplers to prevent any extraneous bleed through that may be occurring but I think its the best it's sounded since I've owned it. One thing i did notice was that the Vintage channel now has a lot less gain (as do both channels) and is actually a usable clean channel now if the gain isn't set too high. Closer inspection of the internals revealed a 3M3 with a bypass cap (presumably 100p) connecting to the Vintage gain pot where existing schematic data indicated I might see a 680k so maybe that is why mine's so much cleaner.

I would also like to reduce the bass response a little further in the gain channel so any advice on mods would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently thinking a 470k//470p network into the input of V2 OR on the output replacing the 33k to the pot may do the job for me without affecting the Vintage channel. If I lost a bit of gain it wouldn't worry me as it has so much anyway.

Best regards,
Brad