Roadhouse 30 Combo review

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

adamh
New Here
New Here

Roadhouse 30 Combo review

Post by adamh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Here's my Review of the Cornford RoadHouse 30 combo....

https://adamharkusblog.wordpress.com/20 ... er-review/

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

Re: Roadhouse 30 Combo review

Post by donnyboiler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:49 am

Well written, although you might want to take a look at this: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/its-or-it-s

Having started with a grammar correction, you will now automatically hate me, but here goes:

I agree with your assessment of the overall tone, although my findings relating to the onboard boost were different. As billed (a gain boost) it works flawlessly. I found I could set up a crunchy rhythm and then take it over the top for hard rock. Clean up from the guitar, clean boost in the loop to solo on any sound. It's cool it didn't work for you but I promise it's a flawless arrangement for some players!

I also agree with your findings on the black tolex (their oxblood was SO much tougher). It's almost rubbery and seems to flake off in layers at the slightest hint of an impact. I somewhat disagree with your statement about the tubes being inaccessible though. Having smashed the entire tube complement on my old (tube guard free) Peavey Classic 30 I'm glad the Roadhouse has a robust cover. Maybe a metal grille would have been simpler but - unless done MESA/Boogie style - would still require at least four screws. I will say the tubes are mounted at an awkward angle though - my big hands struggled to get round to them.

Finally, I think your point about rubber feet is completely unfair I'm afraid. They are practical, hard-wearing and good enough for any number of high dollar boutique brands charging five or six times the price. If you like the wooden design on your previous amp that's totally valid, but I think there are ways of getting across your opinion more fairly - after all it's just a personal preference in this context.

Sorry for the diatribe but I write reviews myself and I genuinely think there's a lot of merit to your eloquent, take no prisoners style. I just feel that if you want a range of players to benefit from your reviews you could be a bit more impartial.

adamh
New Here
New Here

Post by adamh » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:28 am

It's corrected to its :)

Regarding the boost, the fact that you also use a clean boost in the loop says to me you also couldn't use the "Gain Boost" as a "Lead boost"

Granted, and as I said in the article, this was never billed as a "Lead Boost" anyway, but on the other hand Cornford made it foot-switchable. I'm pretty sure most guitarists (including me) would rather have a foot-switchable lead boost rather than what we have here, which is just more gain and no option to tweak it any other way.

Basically I think they missed a trick.

I'm standing by my view of the tube access, half-dismantling the amp to gain tube access is a pain for me. Personally I'm happy to trade completely enclosed valves for better valve access.

Yeah I take onboard your comment about the feet. It is personal preference, but then again that's what the review is, a personal view.

My style is passionate, maybe opinionated and you're right, I do need to balance it out a little, for example regarding the boost I could have add something along the lines of "Try before you buy" as I may work for you, it just didn't for me. Having said that though I really can't think how it would work for MOST players, but there you go.

Really appreciate the feedback, thank you. Your pointers will definitely improve my writing.

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by donnyboiler » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Cool man. You're absolutely entitled to your opinions. One of the biggest challenges of writing reviews I think is presenting your opinions in a really open-ended way so that people can interpret them according to their own needs. This works the other way too - sometimes its hard for me to be impartial when I'm writing about something I'm super-excited about.

My Boogie Mark V review was so hard to write, because I absolutely love the amp but the last thing I wanted was to convince everyone to buy it when it's so finicky and complex. I know 90% of then would end up hating it!

I'm trying to steer clear of writing reviews for lower end equipment for this reason - I think I'd really struggle to hide my indifference towards most of it. What a snob.

Thanks for taking my criticism constructively. That's a rare skill these days :)

59Bassman
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by 59Bassman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:34 pm

@adamh review link is dead - can you do a revision??
Still toying with:
PRS Soapbar ll, Les Paul Studio, Yamaha SG2000s, Gibson 335, 1973 Strat
into a Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo (+ ext 1x12 V30)
BOSS ME5 - With Custom 'Boutique' Upgrade Set - see below:

http://boss-pedals.jimdo.com

adamh
New Here
New Here

Post by adamh » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 pm