Hurricane or Roadhouse 30

All general Cornford Amplification discussion goes in here, plus photos, videos, sound clips and artist news...

Moderator: Gadget

Eightball
New Here
New Here

Hurricane or Roadhouse 30

Post by Eightball » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi, I'm in the lucky position of being able to buy another amp and I'm set on getting a Cornford. I have, for the last 9 years or so, gigged with a Hot Rod Deluxe and I also have a copy of a Blues Junior (a Subzero 20R). The Hot Rod has served well but rarely gets its master volume past 2.5 and is a big beast to lug around. I've relied on a Tube Screamer to get better overdrive tones from it but I'm not enjoying the Fender sound and compressed OD of the Tube Screamer as much anymore. I'm after a more open and touch sensitive sounding amp with a quality drive sound controlled from the guitars volume. I love what I've heard of the Cornford sound. I play mainly Blues with a Strat and use a gritty breakup main sound going in to more saturated lead sounds.

So the question is this: Do the Hurricane and Roadhouse 30 sound totally different and is it really worth spending twice as much to get hand wired? Spending more doesn't always equate to getting better but I will if I need too. Unfortunately A/B' ing the two doesnt seem a possibility..

Thanks for reading..

col
High Gain
High Gain

Re: Hurricane or Roadhouse 30

Post by col » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi there Eight,
I've never owned a roadhouse but I've giged a Hurricane & MK50 for many years.l have owned a Fender Hot rod and the Hurricane is in another class to the fender. The hurricane delivers on every level, crank it up and it truly sings with enough volume for most small gigs ( Mike up for arenas) it takes peddles in front NO probe, but I prefer the send & return. Mine has never let me down in all the years I've giged it.
Hope this helps mate.
Col.
Cornfordillo COL
MK50
Ameson 2x12 with celestion G12 century speakers
Hurricane 1x12 (Metal Front)

donnyboiler
Mid Range
Mid Range

Post by donnyboiler » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:15 pm

I've had a couple of MKs and a RH30 and RH50.

For me the RH range is great. It's a little darker and furrier overall than the handwired stuff and although the circuits are very similar (the RH50 is only a handful of components different from an MK50) the tone stack is different and you do lose something to the additional capacitance in the circuit board in my opinion.

Overall the RH series is excellent for the money and flattens most Marshall/Laney/Orange/Blackstar type stuff at the price point. They make a great medium/low to medium/high gain amp - for your style they'd probably be perfect. But if you want the ultimate touch sensitivity, clarity and transparent clanky high gain on tap that Cornford are known for, you need one of the handwired models.

Those were my findings anyway.

Eightball
New Here
New Here

Post by Eightball » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. It confirmed what I thought and I've now got a Hurricane! It's an early one from 2002 numbered 0521. Signed L.Williams. Sounds amazing! Easy to dial in "that" tone and so responsive to my Strat's volume pot. I'm very very happy with it. It gets its first gig volume levels on Monday night at rehearsal, can't wait! :cool:

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:55 pm

Enjoy.....still fancy a Hurricane myself
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895

Eightball
New Here
New Here

Post by Eightball » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:35 am

Just got back from another rehearsal and still amazed at this amp! I've been enjoying THE gain tone for weeks but tonight dialled in gain at 5 and master up at 8ish and everything was even better! So clear and touch sesnsative! I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm in tonal heaven!
I even ventured into Matt Schofield ish licks with confidence!

s&m freddy
Master Volume
Master Volume

Post by s&m freddy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:37 pm

I've just added a Hurricane to the stable......its a very classy amp.....not yet rehearsed or gigged it but it sounds incredible even down low!
Cornford RK100 #108 used on Winery Dogs UK dates 2016 by Richie Kotzen
Cornford 2x12 cab
Cornford Hurricane #1895